Black Scorpions in SW Texas

papatbone

Arachnopeon
DSCN4288.JPG I live in SW Texas about 17 miles west of Terlingua in a place called lajitas.Right on The Rio Grande pretty much.I found this in my bathroom this morning.What can anybody tell about this variety? Are they poisonous?

Attachments

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
View attachment 218997 I live in SW Texas about 17 miles west of Terlingua in a place called lajitas.Right on The Rio Grande pretty much.I found this in my bathroom this morning.What can anybody tell about this variety? Are they poisonous?
Poor little guy, he is a long way from his tropical home. That is a Heterometrus sp. ( H. longimanus.?)

More than likely an escaped or abandoned pet.

All scorpions are venomous. Is that one in particular of medical significance though, no.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Could it be Pseudouroctonus reddelli @shining ? And no OP, it's not medically significant either. About the same symptoms as a bee sting or less. How large is it?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, D. whitei, male. You'll rarely see a female out and about, they tend to stay in their holes. Harmless really, unless you have an allergic reaction. It feels like a bee sting imo. Their venom also has an odd smell, I suppose also for defense, it's not a strong smell though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, D. whitei, male. You'll rarely see a female out and about, they tend to stay in their holes. Harmless really, unless you have an allergic reaction. It feels like a bee sting imo. Their venom also has an odd smell, I suppose also for defense, it's not a strong smell though.
I feel like D. whitei is the generic, off-brand version of those fancy, exotic Heterometrus and Pandinus sp. lol Want one.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I feel like D. whitei is the generic, off-brand version of those fancy, exotic Heterometrus and Pandinus sp. lol Want one.
Yeah, but in better lighting they are dark brown and not black, what fooled me.

papatbone

Arachnopeon
Could it be Pseudouroctonus reddelli @shining ? And no OP, it's not medically significant either. About the same symptoms as a bee sting or less. How large is it?
About 2&1/2 inches.And I really don't think it's an escaped pet.These black ones are all over around here.I've seen a couple even bigger than this one.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's Diplocentrus whitei.
Yeah, but in better lighting they are dark brown and not black, what fooled me.
Their behavior is similar to Heterometrus too, they pinch and sting. Oh wait, that’s what all scorpions do, but irc they are kind of defensive like many Heterometrus.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's Diplocentrus whitei.

Their behavior is similar to Heterometrus too, they pinch and sting. Oh wait, that’s what all scorpions do, but irc they are kind of defensive like many Heterometrus.
Gotta love the feisty ones!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Actually,I WAS considering getting a cat.I know scorpions aren't deadly.Would just hurt like heck if it stung me.But I'm not so sure what effect it might have on a kitten.
I meant you should keep the scorpion as a pet ;)