Black Mature male A. avic?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got a mature A. avic. He sure is cute, and lots smaller than my male who matured a while back. He has very bright toes, but his body is very dark and he is almost black. I do not remember my male being so dark. He does not turn purple on a flash. Has anyone known mature A. avics to be dark and almost black? I left my card reader at home so i don't have pics. :(

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that makes me feel better. I also found a thread that confirmed that they can be darker from quite a while back.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Maybe, he isn't dark enough. I had one a few yrs ago, he was soo dark, he looked purple in the light.:D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Avicularia avicularia mature male

Like mine... or darker?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just like that. My female on the other hand:

Maybe you can see why I was confused ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
just like that. My female on the other hand:

Maybe you can see why I was confused ;)
My female looks like that as well.

Hm, maybe males just appear like that after they have matured, but then you say you had a lighter one? Hm.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My female looks like that as well.

Hm, maybe males just appear like that after they have matured, but then you say you had a lighter one? Hm.
I seem to remember him having some color when he matured, but not as vibrant as my girl.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I seem to remember him having some color when he matured, but not as vibrant as my girl.
I think I may have a reasonable idea, maybe when they first mature they have some color, but after a couple of weeks they lose it and become darker. Maybe? Seems plausible to me.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of the males I see in A. avic and A. metallica have been dark. My immature male A. metallica is a very dark iridescent green.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My MM avic was very colorful, this was about three months after he matured.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My MM avic was very colorful, this was about three months after he matured.

Ya yours does appear to be colorful, but could it be the flash? Did you take that pic with flash?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
And suddenly I become worried that what I thought was an A. avic actually isn't. =/

Your female looks much brighter and more colorful than mine, almost like an A. versicolor only not as fuzzy.

I'm pretty sure mine is female, as I examined the exuvia and they both had flaps and the fingery projections whose proper name escapes me at the moment. If I remember correctly I think I even posted some pics up here and a few other people confirmed it as well.

Maybe its just individual variation, or maybe crossbreeding we're not aware of. Kind of sucks how screwed up the Avic genus can be at times.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did take my picture with flash but even in natural light he was still fairly blue, never dark like yours Paul.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I did take my picture with flash but even in natural light he was still fairly blue, never dark like yours Paul.
Wow that is interesting, I wonder if it's just color variations like Taceas said, or maybe a different species. "The world may never know.."

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got home so i can get the pics.
Here are pics of the male.

and a blurry pic of them mating

When i put him in the cage, she immediately knew he was there. He weakly drummed once or twice but seemed cowed. She on the other hand, looked really eager. She reared up in what I guess to be a non-aggressive but sexually suggestive pose (I am pretty new to mating, I am not 100% sure). I had to push him to her and when they touched he knew what to do. They were together for a few minutes. The constraints and webbing did not allow me to see if he made inserts but I am guessing since I did see him tapping like crazy under her. After he was done, he took a mad dash out of there.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your male looks even darker then mine in the first pic.

Congrats on the mating, I'm gonna pulling my Avic. avics sac soon. I was gonna let it hatch with her, but am deciding to pull it since she laid it over a month ago. Good luck on a sac.