Black locust for millipede?

Munax

Arachnosquire
I have a new AGM and I was wondering if Black locusts wood is safe for the pede. It's a hardwood, but I've heard its toxic to people and livestock, but I've also heard its Ok for millipedes to eat. If anyone has any info it would be very appreciated. Thanks

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have a new AGM and I was wondering if Black locusts wood is safe for the pede. It's a hardwood, but I've heard its toxic to people and livestock, but I've also heard its Ok for millipedes to eat. If anyone has any info it would be very appreciated. Thanks
I do not know anything about black locust but would have though that if it contains substances toxic to mammals that it would likely be toxic to millipedes as well. Of course substances may be toxic to specific phyla and there are usually species that evolve resistance to particular toxins, but better to err on the side of safety. Where did you read that black locust is safe for millipedes? Unless you really trust the source, I would recommend sticking with the usual hardwoods such as oak, elm, aspen, etc.

Munax

Arachnosquire
I do not know anything about black locust but would have though that if it contains substances toxic to mammals that it would likely be toxic to millipedes as well. Of course substances may be toxic to specific phyla and there are usually species that evolve resistance to particular toxins, but better to err on the side of safety. Where did you read that black locust is safe for millipedes? Unless you really trust the source, I would recommend sticking with the usual hardwoods such as oak, elm, aspen, etc.
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/robpse/all.html#BOTANICAL AND ECOLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS

On the page search for "millipede" and it says they have observed millipedes eating the locust. The only thing I'm worried about is that the millipedes they saw were probably american pedes that are already adapted for eating it, while the AGM of course is foreign and may not have the same adaptation

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
On the page search for "millipede" and it says they have observed millipedes eating the locust. The only thing I'm worried about is that the millipedes they saw were probably american pedes that are already adapted for eating it, while the AGM of course is foreign and may not have the same adaptation
That's a good point. I don't know what they generally eat in their native habitat nor what people generally feed them although I would think that oak is always a safe bet.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Do you mean AGB (African Giant Black) or AGM (American Giant Millipede)? Not that it matters; I am just trying to learn and that's how I have seen them referred. But aside - I have a black locust and I see isopods and other invertebrates around it. I am very allergic to the pods but the leaves and wood doesn't bother me. Food for thought. :wideyed:

Munax

Arachnosquire
Do you mean AGB (African Giant Black) or AGM (American Giant Millipede)? Not that it matters; I am just trying to learn and that's how I have seen them referred. But aside - I have a black locust and I see isopods and other invertebrates around it. I am very allergic to the pods but the leaves and wood doesn't bother me. Food for thought. :wideyed:
No worries. By AGM I'm referring to the African millipedes (Archispirotreptus gigas). Ive never heard of the term "American Giant Millipede", but I don't chat a lot on here anyways.

And thanks for confirming there are inverts that can eat locust. I'm sure that means the American southern pedes can eat it, but as of now I removed the locusts because I don't want to take any chances. A. gigas`s are kind of hard to come by atm so I'm playing it safe.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I certainly don't know the answers; I was asking. I am pretty new at this; it's just what I had seen in my pale experience. I would definitely play it safe with the gigas! Mine love apple and cucumber. I give them turtle food occasionally. (Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food) It molds pretty quickly so I only leave it in for a day. But it has a lot of nutrients that I would think healthful for a pede. Good luck with your gigas!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
Allow me to present perhaps an alternative viewpoint: I would put a bit of wood in, and if it is toxic etc. I would expect the AGB not to eat it. Thus if you don't ever find evidence of the AGB eating it I wouldn't offer it again.

Content, research, tools, and stock or option symbols are for educational and illustrative purposes only and do not imply a recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell a particular security or to engage in any particular investment strategy. The projections or other information regarding the likelihood of various investment outcomes are hypothetical in nature, are not guaranteed for accuracy or completeness, do not reflect actual investment results and are not guarantees of future results. All investments involve risk, losses may exceed the principal invested, and the past performance of a security, industry, sector, market, or financial product does not guarantee future results or returns.

hehehe :)