Black Light Questions

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I had a few questions about black lights. How long does an arachnid need to be exposed to it to have harmful effects? What are some of the best flashlight black lights you've used? Would they work for field herping or would I have to get a filter to remove visible light? What are some of the best wavelengths of black lights to show up the most and be the most distinctive? Thank you in advance.

scolopendra277

Arachnoknight
I prefer not to use them unless I am looking for them, and they are hiding. I think the most you should use them for less than 30 seconds or so.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Is balcklight the one that shines scorpion with blue color?

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
The main thing I would be using it for is field herping and looking at the scorpion (and some millipedes I keep) under it for a few seconds per month.
Yes, the blacklight is the light that makes arachnids (especially scorpions) iridescent, usually with a blue color.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
As I understand it prolonged UV exposure is harmful to 99% of organisms, but in small dosages it shouldn't be worse than the sun in their natural habitat.

Scorpions have been noted to lose their UV iridescence after prolonged exposure and it is thought to expedite desiccation and cause DNA damage

Disclaimer: I'm not at all educated on light, cancer or radiation

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I had a few questions about black lights. How long does an arachnid need to be exposed to it to have harmful effects? What are some of the best flashlight black lights you've used? Would they work for field herping or would I have to get a filter to remove visible light? What are some of the best wavelengths of black lights to show up the most and be the most distinctive? Thank you in advance.
Direct UV exposure can be permanently harmful to some species after as little as 30 minutes or less, and for others it can be almost no time at all.

Thus I only use a UV flashlight for extremely brief illumination sessions. A few seconds or less. And I shine it from a significant distance from the animal.

Last edited:

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I've also heard that shining blacklights on scorpions, even briefly, can damage the median eyes (the eyes on top of the head). These eyes are very light sensitive, so a blacklight toa scorpion must seem like having a floodlight directly in the eyes.