black lace weaver husbandry

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone have any info on keeping or the proper care for this spider? Can't seem to find much online.

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
Hi! I keep spiders of the Callobius genus, they are in the same family as black lace weavers, and I think they may be similar in respect to keeping. I have never kept spiders before these callobius (Severus sp.) and information about keeping true spiders (outside of jumpers!) is really sparse, so I have had to learn as I go on. I'll tell you a little about what I do, and maybe it will be helpful!

I currently have five adults and about five slings (caught a wild gravid girl.) I keep the adults in Kritter Keeper style enclosures, with about an inch of substrate. On top of the substrate, I layer pieces of bark, twigs, and small sticks and then add moss. I have only had one die of old age, have lost two males who were escape artists, and a couple due to ignorance on my part. 😯 For food, they get mostly crickets and mealworms, depending on their size. I have some younger, smaller females that will eat fruit flies (which I currently have an abundance of!) They aren't real ravenous.

Anyway, is that helpful at all? I am rambling on because I haven't had much opportunity to talk about my spiders, so I will stop here! LMK if you think I can be of any help with your lovely black lace weaver! Good luck! 😀

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
I've never tried posting a picture here. This is my oldest female c. Severus. The enclosure is kind of big, I tried to breed her I it.
PXL_20230207_023958533.NIGHT.jpg
This should have gone with the first enclosure. This is her bathroom, all I ever get to see is her booty. She takes her prey to the back of the flower pot on the other end of her enclosure to eat. LOL. I have had her about 18 months,!