Black Cricket Breeding

Troopermk2

Arachnosquire
I've been pretty quiet on the forums recently, mostly due to everything going amazingly, all T's are feeding and have moulted atleast once since ive had them.

But im wondering how i can go about promoting my crickets to breed, they are in a 40L container with plenty of ventilation, bug gel and food etc.

Also wondering what the Larvae or Eggs look like to recognise them, i have one corner laid out with a topsoil cocofiber mix as i've read that the females will seek this out to lay.

As always any advice would be much appreciated :)

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
The eggs are laid under the soil, so you won't normally see them. The tiny newly hatched crickets are similar in appearance to older specimens.

Redmont

The collector
I’d recommend roaches or regular crickets, black crickets have larger mandables as far as I know and are more canablistic

Troopermk2

Arachnosquire
I’d recommend roaches or regular crickets, black crickets have larger mandables as far as I know and are more canablistic
These are what i have at the moment, i've had the "colony" for 2-3 months now with no issues.

Also all crickets are cannibalistic in nature, but when provided with proper food, water, cover and housing it wont be an issue

Redmont

The collector
Hopefully breeding them works out, I hate crickets just because of the smell alone.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They are gryllus, and getting a large culture will take a few years because field crickets grow alot slower than others and have a high cannibalism rate.

they want damp sand to lay eggs in rather than coco. another problem is they will dig eggs up and eat them, so you should lay out shallow dishes of medium for them to oviposit in, remove the dishes, and replace. that way you dont lose them to cannibalism

Gomez

Arachnopeon
The eggs are laid under the soil, so you won't normally see them. The tiny newly hatched crickets are similar in appearance to older specimens.
I like to use clear containers for the egg laying trays. If they are laying a decent amount of eggs you will see them through the sides.m

AmazingNature

Arachnopeon
I'm new to forums being 56 years young
I have seen people joking about old threads before
but why if its still turns up in search ;
and as in this post
at least for me ,
has relevant info I'm seeking?
just wondering-
I mean I get the obvious reasons...
i.e. that poster is long 'gone' resolved an issue etc

And I understand that info changes gets out/up dated but...?
I'm not being rude... just genuinely wondering if there are other types of reasons
I'm not aware of in how forums 'work' algorithms?
or something that would cause issues??

Last edited:

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I'm new to forums being 56 years young
I have seen people joking about old threads before
but why if its still turns up in search ;
and as in this post
at least for me ,
has relevant info I'm seeking?
just wondering-
I mean I get the obvious reasons...
i.e. that poster is long 'gone' resolved an issue etc

And I understand that info changes gets out/up dated but...?
I'm not being rude... just genuinely wondering if there are other types of reasons
I'm not aware of in how forums 'work' algorithms?
or something that would cause issues??
several reasons it’s generally frowned upon:
1. if you’re answering a question on a several year old thread, often the original posters are long gone.
2. many people get notifications for new activity in threads they’ve participated in, so if you’re not adding real value to an old thread, it can get a bit annoying
3. usually you’re better served by starting a new thread - as in this case, you could have started a thread in the website troubleshooting forum, which exists for asking questions about the forum.
that said, there are times when adding to a very old thread can be useful, and in those cases, generally you won’t get flack for it.