Black centipede

shaihulud

Arachnopeon
Hello, i am new here, but i have always had a fascination with centipede. In Singapore, we have a ready acess to this animals via feeders for the aquarium trade. When i was younger i kept one for a year, it moulted and grew its fangs back and bit me. I was 9 or 10 at that time so i retaliated by feeding it to my fish. Now that was long ago, but my impression was that it was more than 30cm long. Now i know from this board that it is a rare size for an asian centipede most likely a scolopendra subspinipes mutilans? The aquarium shops still sells the pedes today, but they are much smaller, i wanted to rekindle my interest by getting one, but am unsure about feeding defanged ones (I fed my old pede exclusively with soft bodied insects like termites which were abundant)

I am on a project to keep a centipede, so yesterday, i caught an unknown species of centipede, black in colour, about 8cm long. It is a common centipede and not too big, as it grows it will have a greenish colouration. If i suceed in keeping the black centipede i fully intend to buy the mutilans. Any specific care i need to keep a defanged centipede? Its hard to find termites anymore, but i was thinking small frogs would be great:evil: until it has moulted.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello, i am new here, but i have always had a fascination with centipede. In Singapore, we have a ready acess to this animals via feeders for the aquarium trade. When i was younger i kept one for a year, it moulted and grew its fangs back and bit me. I was 9 or 10 at that time so i retaliated by feeding it to my fish. Now that was long ago, but my impression was that it was more than 30cm long. Now i know from this board that it is a rare size for an asian centipede most likely a scolopendra subspinipes mutilans? The aquarium shops still sells the pedes today, but they are much smaller, i wanted to rekindle my interest by getting one, but am unsure about feeding defanged ones (I fed my old pede exclusively with soft bodied insects like termites which were abundant)

I am on a project to keep a centipede, so yesterday, i caught an unknown species of centipede, black in colour, about 8cm long. It is a common centipede and not too big, as it grows it will have a greenish colouration. If i suceed in keeping the black centipede i fully intend to buy the mutilans. Any specific care i need to keep a defanged centipede? Its hard to find termites anymore, but i was thinking small frogs would be great:evil: until it has moulted.
Maybe small frogs but it's have to be able to catch them, mainly nothing that can bite or sting back. It has a lot of legs and a powerful coiler, so anything it can overrun and subdue. Try freshly killed crickets. I remember buying mutilans of a dealer some years back but the wrangler or exporters had the nasty reputation of clipping the fangs blunt. The centipede will be equipped with them next molt.

Greg Pelka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey!
Can you post some photos of this black centpiede?
It soundc interesting to me:))

Regards
Greg

Ps: Welcome on board:D