Black bottle blue

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchased 2 adult female GBBs. However, their legs and carapace are not colorful at all. They have a fiery behind, but the legs and carapace are more of a black.

Is this usual amongst the women of this species? Are they perhaps going towards a molt?

Just curious as these are my first adult GBBs and I'm hoping they'll get prettier!

Thanks for any ideas and knowledge you guys can share with me. :)

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchased 2 adult female GBBs. However, their legs and carapace are not colorful at all. They have a fiery behind, but the legs and carapace are more of a black.

Is this usual amongst the women of this species? Are they perhaps going towards a molt?

Just curious as these are my first adult GBBs and I'm hoping they'll get prettier!

Thanks for any ideas and knowledge you guys can share with me. :)
I don't know if you posted pics as work blocks most of the pic sites here. But if the legs look almost black, sounds like premolt to me. I know my big girl loses a LOT of her color on carapace and especially her legs before she molts. The part that sucks with this particular species... They seem to sit in premolt forever!

The other ID that she is in premolt is her abdomen. Mine is an insane hair kicker as she kicks at everything from Watering and feeding to when you play old re-runs of Desperate Housewives on TV!!! If you look at the bald spot on the abdomen, it will look bright red instead of the faint pink that they normally are.

Later!

Joe - CAK

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pics

So I took some pics, and the flash made a hint of color come out of the black. When there is no bright light on them (flash) they are black.

Anyways...here they are. Thoughts?

Attachments

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh yeah, it doesn't look to be in hard premolt yet, but it doesn't look far off. Watch that bootie! It will go a dark reddish brick color when it hits hard core premolt!

And.... when she molts, Get your sunglasses on!

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
Still,even in pre molt pound for pound one of my favorites.I can't wait for my babe's to get big!

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I took some pics, and the flash made a hint of color come out of the black. When there is no bright light on them (flash) they are black.

You'll get the same effect if you shine a flashlight on them. They look like dull GBBs in need of a molt to me :).

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Looks badly in need of a molt. I only have a 3" specimen so ive never seen her that far without a molt. I think i recall a thread similar to this. Definetly update this thread when they molt. :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
most of the crazy colors you see in pics posted by ppl are only made possible because of the flash

i had (and am about to get again :D) spiders that looked totally brown most of the time... but hit 'em with a flash *just* right and they turn to molten silver :D

p.s. they are not tarantulas, but are pretty close

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really beautiful gbb.
so wish i had one or could get a seller.
i used to have one and it was small with the tiger tripes on her rumb, the ppl in the pet store said thats an adult and i belived them, so when i sold her i was ok about it buy now i know what an adult looks like im so pissed off i sold her off and that the reptile shop lied... or didnt know :(

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A few years ago I bought an unidentified "desert tarantula" from my lps. It was on sand, of course being a "desert tarantula" and all. It also had a wet sponge to drink from :wall:. I knew it was a MM because it had hooked out But I felt bad for it and took it home for 20 bucks after some haggling. It was Jet black with a red abdomen. Best I could tell it was a MM GBB. But even with camera or flashlight I couldn't see any green/blue. But I'm still almost positive that's what it was. I agree that most of the pictures you see on the internet would look like completely different spiders in person or in different lighting. I mean, look at an A. avicularia. Just looks light a black fuzzball with pinktoes, but when you hit it with a nice incandescent light or a camera flash you get those fantastic blues and greens.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wish I could remember who posted a GBB about 1-2 yrs ago, and that GBB's colors were WAY off (but COOL lookin).

Wait til it molts, it will either go GBB traditional, or you will have a slightly odd colored GBB.

PIG-