black bird eater pics

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

On my screen it looks blue, why is that? How big is it? More Info about it?

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well its just an incredibly dark black and its go the shortest hair ive seen

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Heh, its either my screen or something. I keep seeing it as blue.

Anyways, very nice T.

I had me a pink toe goliath before. She was pretty aggressive and a bit fatter than yours. 8"

MAN I WISH I HAD A DIGI CAM. AHHHH!!

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah i see blue as well, its an asian spieces isnt it?? they usally are nasty

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it was sold to me as a black bird eater I think its either an asian chevron or a tanzanian black. if anyone knows please let me know and yes the pics do look blue but its just the flash. trust me its black, very very very fast, and very aggressive.

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't believe knowing that bird eaters are THAT aggressive. I had three before and they were aggressive, but not deadly aggressive. I'm not a professional in telling what type of spider is what, so I'll leave that to the next person.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive had it for like 8 hours and its allmost got me twice and tries to bite around five times a second. also it goes into a threat posture just by my footsteps. like I said I have never seen such a mean T

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
That is an undescribed species of Haplopelma known as Haplopelma sp. "longipedum". I recently acquired one myself, and one of the tell tale signs that that is what it is is that the 4th leg is longer than the 1st. It is sometimes reffered to as the "Pet trade Cyriopagopus paganus", but in fact it has yet to be officially described.

Bill

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
That is an undescribed species of Haplopelma known as Haplopelma sp. "longipedum". I recently acquired one myself, and one of the tell tale signs that that is what it is is that the 4th leg is longer than the 1st. It is sometimes reffered to as the "Pet trade Cyriopagopus paganus", but in fact it has yet to be officially described.

Bill
I would definitely go along with what Bill says.

A French breeder at the BTS show recently had an adult Haplopelma sp. "longipedium" with spiderlings for sale, which were also advertised as the Pet Trade C paganus.

They are very attractive tarantulas with attidude - if I had more room I'd have come back with a sling.

Leon

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok so now the second question. how do i take care of it, I am assuming that it is a burrower. and thats about it any info would help me out thanks

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I would set it up as you would a burrower, but put a piece of cork or some kind of hide in there as well. Mine, and many other people's aren't quite the burrowers that Haplopelma usually are. I've got my 3" or so juvenile in a 2.5 gallon aquarium, with 7 inches of sphagnum peat, and about 3 inches between the lid and the substrate. I have a 4 inch diamter lid from a butter container as a lid, and a silly little plastic cave I bought for my first T, that I had to do something with. It shuns burrowing, and the cave, and just hangs out along the edges and in the corners of the tank. Not much of a climber though. I keep it at room temperature (72 here) and admit that like my other haplos, I'll mist it when it gets a little drier.

In a few weeks it may burrow some, but I've had a few people tell me theirs haven't burrower after a year in captivity.

Bill