Black Ants

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
Are black ants harmful to Ts? One of my enclosure has some black ants scavenging the remains of the roaches my Ts had ate... Do black ants pose a threat to the Ts?

Ents189

Arachnopeon
I would rehouse her and try to keep her enclosure as clean as possible going forward. If you have an ant problem then I'd be extra diligent about spot cleaning so there isn't anything for the ants to scavenge. I would imagine at the very least the ants would stress the T. When she goes into molt I'd be worried about the ants feeding on the T. It's safe to say that yes they pose a threat

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I would get rid of them. Not worth the risk.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Ants are absolutely of concern, though "black ants" isn't really a strong descriptor of a species. Ants in numbers will overcome almost anything that they deem food. I'd absolutely rehouse your spider and take measures to prevent ants from returning, like diotomaceous earth, or ant traps in the vicinity.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I would do everything possible to keep ants away from the spider's enclosure. Maybe consider adding some springtails to cleanup uneaten food items and collections of waste.

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
I would do everything possible to keep ants away from the spider's enclosure. Maybe consider adding some springtails to cleanup uneaten food items and collections of waste.
Idont have springtails... but i have a few isopods

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I have small isopods which has light red brown color i guess... do i need to fins a correct species of isopods?or amy species is okay?
Small group of isopods should be fine. You don't want to many, just enough to do the job. As to specific species and details...there are others much more knowledgeable than I.

There is a section here at Arachnoboards where this type of discussion is broached all the time.

JohnGwapo

Arachnopeon
Small group of isopods should be fine. You don't want to many, just enough to do the job. As to specific species and details...there are others much more knowledgeable than I.

There is a section here at Arachnoboards where this type of discussion is broached all the time.
Oh thankyou I'll check it now

cold blood

Staff member
Isopods breathe through gills...so unless you keep a t on damp sub, isopods simply will not survive.....the use of isopods is dependent on the husbandry for the t in question.