Blaberus giganteus

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
After finding some neat critters at a reptile show today, I bought myself eleven roaches to try and start a colony. The little ones are kind of cute, but I'm still a bit disturbed by the adults :p

If all goes well, my tarantulas, 'pede, and dragons will all be enjoying some fine dining in a few months ;)

Does anyone know how to tell male from female in this species?

-Bryan

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just posted some info and a link in another thread a while back. I'll try to find it and provide you with the thread name. I've got a colony started as well. The link provides info for sexing them, but I believe the most obvious way is by behavior.

Botar

Edit: Here is the link.

http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/RCH.htm

Last edited:

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
Those roaches really look like Blaberus discoidales to me. Blaberus giganteus adults grow, usually just under 4 inches. Eitehr way for feeders I think you got the better animal. These guys breed really well, far better than giganteus. They also dont take as long to mature. I have tones of them.
Marcus-sparkus

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey again,
Forgot to answer your question. With this species it's really hard to tell male from female, the only way I can do it for sure is when I see the ootheca extended out of the females abdomen. It's really creepy sometimes when they do it.the females are also a little bulkier than the males but I find this unreliable. It will come out about an inch or so and its kinda maroon in color. I aslo noticed your choice of food (mine like pizza too). you should really put some ground up dog/cat food or they might decide to start munching on eachother. I keep my dry roachmix in their tank with them all the time. E-mail me if you want the recipe Radix_malign@hotmail.com
Marcus-sparkus

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a picture of one of my subadults having a snack. This guy is over 2" and still has not molted into an adult. Although my adults aren't in the 4" range, they are every bit of 3" or more. The info I have (in the link) for B. giganteus says the adults "can" measure over 3". I haven't had them long enough to speak of their growth rate (although it seems to be decent) or more importantly, their proficiency at breeding. If they're anything like the lobster roaches I got from Galeogirl, I'll be knee deep in them in no time.

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a pic of an adult B. giganteus, taken by Art Evans (cockroach by me ;) ).

I agree with Marcku-sparckus, B. discoidaldes is a better culture animal for feeders. The B. giganteus preultimate nymphs, look like trilobites. Very, very cool!

Wade