Blaberus giganteus and random freakouts

JustSatanThings

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

About a year and a half ago I got a pair of Blaberus giganteus nymphs. Not necessarily to breed or anything, just to take care of and observe. One of them unfortunately died not too long after its final moult, so now I just have one single adult that's been on its lonesome for many months. I have a question about some peculiar behavior that it exhibits on occasion.

This happens maybe every month or couple months - not too often. 95% of the time it just sits in a spot on its log and only comes down to eat. Every once in a while though it will just get crazy agitated out of the blue. Starts trying to constantly fly around its enclosure, scrambles madly at the glass walls as though trying to get out. I realize a cockroach doesn't have a complex enough intellect to have a concept of freedom, but it's enough to make me feel irrationally guilty, ha. It's noticeable, too, it's a big insect and there's a racket in there. The episodes last maybe 30 minutes to an hour ish and then it calms down and back to being a bump on a log.

Wondering if anyone else has experience with behavior like this and maybe some insight on whether there are some needs I might not be meeting.

Thanks very much!

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I kept these I’ve observed the males do this. I don’t know the trigger but this causes them to go in a mating frenzy and I believe the males flying is smelling the females pheromones and them attempting to get to them quicker. I’ve had males fly out of the cage despite sites saying they can’t fly.