BL help?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought the housing for the BL I bought was kind of wimpy. It was just PVC pipe with a piece cut out of it, a wand. I put it in a bigger housing and opened it up. The old housing trapped in a lot of light. I felt like I was losing a lot of light so I added a reflector. and added a screw-on handle so I wouldn't have to bend over so much. I should have used thinner walled PCV to cut down on weight, maybe do that later. But now, I'm having a problem finding thin caps to put on the ends of the housing. I don't want to use PVC caps because I really want to cut down on weight. I tried Home Depot and an office supply but, no. Maybe a postal store but they are closed. Think of any more ideas were I can find the caps? Such a little thing but I can't find them. The first pic is what it originally looked like.

Also, I'm not confident about how to estimate how long the battery will last. 15w bulb, 12v 10 amp hour battery. I'm not remembering how to do that. Do you divide volts into watts and divide that by the amp hours? I was talking about it with another AB member. I think we got it but I want to confirm it with someone else.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks jamesc. I have some Surefire LEDs and they ROCK! I plan on going UV LED pretty soon. I saw an LED out there that is equal to, if I remember right, 32 reg uv LEDs. Called CREE xLamp, something like that. I think a little expensive now but I expect them to come down. Risk Reactor is using them in their flashlights. I think the xLamp is pretty new tech, not sure. I wanted to eventually compare the tube to the UV LED. I just haven't decided what to buy yet.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks jamesc. I have some Surefire LEDs and they ROCK! I plan on going UV LED pretty soon. I saw an LED out there that is equal to, if I remember right, 32 reg uv LEDs. Called CREE xLamp, something like that. I think a little expensive now but I expect them to come down. Risk Reactor is using them in their flashlights. I think the xLamp is pretty new tech, not sure. I wanted to eventually compare the tube to the UV LED. I just haven't decided what to buy yet.
Yeah cree is a good one but too high for my tastes. I've never found more need than the one I showed in that link.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree...go LED. I used fluro for a while, all I got was back ache and few scorpions. LED's are awesome, low power usage and in a torch, so easy to use.

Power = VI therefore 15W = 12V x I
I = 1.25 amps Your battery will supply 10 amps for 1 hour. Therefore 10/1.25 = 8 hours of light. Assuming little resistance in the circuit. I would assume more like 6 hours.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I used a setup like this:

holding the long pvc pipe just after the counter whieght (the size of it has to be fiddled with to find a good balance) with the BL widthwise in front of you and your arm at rest at the side. I could hold it for hours without fatigue in that position. Ive seen alot of the expensive 90++++ dollar prtable uvs and they become a hassle after a couple hours. The full on 4' BL from homedepot seems to give the best spectrum, better than most of the UV LED's out there that are under $150.

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I don't want to use PVC caps because I really want to cut down on weight. I tried Home Depot and an office supply but, no. Maybe a postal store but they are closed. Think of any more ideas were I can find the caps? Such a little thing but I can't find them. The first pic is what it originally looked like.

If you have the handle so it is used at a resting position (the arm at the side parrallel to the torso/legs) with a counter wheight its suprisingly easy to carry. They key I found was putting the ballast and battery on opposite sides of a good tool belt hence there is no sewing necessary with the button flaps, which easily supports the load, and allows alot of quick bending and running. The key mod is the counter wieght.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! A lot of good ideas. I've got the BLB tube. This works really well, picks up scrops and other animals too so looking forward to getting an LED version. Any idea where I can find those caps? I didn't look around today. Going to the PO tomorrow to see if they have any. I know there is a place to get them because it came with some. I just need bigger ones. Thanks Mark for confirming the power issue. The circuitry does get a little warm so, you're prob right to cut a couple hours off that 8. Pretty awesome tube setup Nich. 10amp batteries are smaller and lighter than they used to be so that's good. I believe everyone about the LEDs. I just want to mess around with this, a little variety. It'll make be appreciate the LED version a lot more:) .

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
High power leds are super cheap wholesale. I think you can get the 3watt uvs for like $15 ea (the bulbs). The wiring is uber basic, the 3watt leds run in series with the supplied resistors. Its addictive converting all your normal flashlights to led....;)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how about those cheap nokia cellphone batteries? those 3.5-3.7+ volts, it can sustain 2 UV LEDs or 10 cellphone lights (white light).

:)