bite story

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooh thought it was indeed a specific identified wolfspider located in the sourthern parts of Italy... my bad then i guess

Edit: so you're saying that the name was given to a certain wolfspider; but not the *original* one (or many) which caused hysteria (which as of today still/are not specified?)

-checked my encyclopedia (prob typ0..) which said the same as i wrote, hehe but it's an OLD one ;)

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's a question of matching up folk lore with zoology. We know that the whole tarentella, tarantula, etc. stuff got started as part of a folk myth that the bite of a certain spider caused you to have to dance wildly to get the toxins out. Although we know such a folk myth existed, and we know it was attributed to a large spider, it's not as though there were teams of biologists combing the Eurpoean countryside putting these tarantula specimens in formaldehyde and storing them at the universities. Further, of course, is the fact that it's generally held that the myth was nothing more than an excuse used to get around the clergy bans of dancing (the Medieval version of Footloose, key bad Kenny Loggins music about how big hairy spiders make you gotta shake your ass). So, although Lycosa tarantula may indeed be the legendary spider, it might not be as well. Regardless of the exact facts, "tarantula" came to be synonymous with "big, hairy spider" and when explorers came to the Americas, they said, "Oh look, tarantulas!" and it stuck, far more so then the use of tarantula for a big, hairy wolf spider.

But, like I said, there's no technical definition - you are free to claim that tarantula is a generic term for big hairy spiders which from a certain point of view is correct. You can claim that it describes the species in a small family of European wolf spiders, which is indeed correct. You can also claim that it describes the species of the Theraphosidae, and that is also correct. However, the latter definition is the most commonly observed one, at least in the U.S.

Last edited:

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
as far as i've been able to ascertain, code monkey got everything right.
hah, i'm useful aren't i?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah you got that right CM :)

*shows two puncture wounds* "See? I NEED to shake my ass!"

cheers

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
To tell you the truth, it reads like a high school paper put together by someone who procastinated and was forced to scan through a few sources and try to assimilate a bunch of factoids they really didn't understand. That's just my take -- but then I only really scanned through the page. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Dave

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
arachnomop said:
i found out my spiders latin name ... is that the same as scientific name? they r all incomprehensible to me.

it is Selenocosmia Crassipes :?
Hey all

I have a number of those sp and a few others too
The Selenocosmia Crassipes is curently being re-named
but i like the name Crassipes as i believe it means thick footed
and if you have seen this sp legs I and II you know what i mean

Jason

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deschain said:
Holy revived thread Republiman! :eek:
I think you are my partner against old thread revival, from now on. ;)

For those of you that are especially interested in Australian tarantulas, check out the yahoo group here.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awww someone finally used the search function, and you go and yell at him for reviving an old thread... poor guy!

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what is there a rule about posting in a old thread
and for me its NOT a old thread as i have just joined your group so all posts are new (but im starting to wonder why i joined with attuidudes like that)

Jason

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont get sore mate, they were just joshing :)

Welcome to the boards by the way :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, just joking!

It's just a surprise to start reading a thread then realize when it was started.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Your use of the search funciton is noted and appreciated. :)

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Another thing is just because a thread is old doesnt mean that things cant be added to it as things/information may have changed since the thread was started :)

Jason

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I, for one, enjoy old thread revivals! The only ones that bother me are the ones where someone replies to a questions that is 3 years old :)
But you can always add new related info to the original thread, and I would think that Aussie T Keeper would be especially interested in this thread, since it's about a fellow countryman :)
Question for you AussieTKeeper, is the S crassipes being moved OUT of the selenocosmia genus?

AussieTkeeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Firstly let me say im sorry as i didnt realise that the post was 3 years old i focus more on the topic then the date the topic was rasied. ;)

As for the question im not fully sure yet :confused: as it is still in the process of being worked on. that being said i will try to find out for you as it is a interesting question.

Jason

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
I think CM covered the "tarantula" quite well. I would just like to add the following....

Each culture seems to have their own generic term for "big honkin hairy spider"

Euro-American: Tarantula

South America: Bird Spider

Africa: Baboon Spider

Asia: Earth Tiger

Each no doubt can traced within its culture. I am guessing there are others.. (anybody know?)

just my $2. (inflation, ya know?) :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can go to Lelle's site, click on "spiderfun" in the left menu and see a comprehensive list.

Note the Canadian addition. :D