bit concerned about my Pterinochilus (orange baboon)

missy

Arachnopeon
bit concerned about my Pterinochilus (orange baboon), she has done a web tube but she hasnt eaten for about 8-9 weeks infact i havent seen her for the whole of this time. is this normal behaviour ?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Yes. These spiders can, when they have established themselves in a tank, be very reclusive, unless you disturb them. As long as the T always has plenty to drink and the abdomen looks to be 1½-2 times the size of the carpace then there's nothing to worry about.

missy

Arachnopeon
there is water in her dish , but cant see her at all to see, if her bum is big or not, but she hasnt eaten .

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
there is water in her dish , but cant see her at all to see, if her bum is big or not, but she hasnt eaten .
I'm sure she will come out, set herself up in a nice hunting spot and stretch those legs all arround her when she's hungry again :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
bit concerned about my Pterinochilus (orange baboon), she has done a web tube but she hasnt eaten for about 8-9 weeks infact i havent seen her for the whole of this time. is this normal behaviour ?
when i had mine for however long it was...don't recall...6 months? a year? I rarely ever saw it once it established a web...might catch some toes sticking out if I was really quiet and didn't make any noticeable vibrations and viewed it with a red light at 1-2AM or so. In the time I had it I only saw it catch a cricket once or twice, but the fact they were disappearing let me know it was eating.

It could be in premolt, not eating for weeks at a time is a classic sign depending on the size of the T...this is basic information that every T keeper should be aware of. G. roseas have been known to go for over a year without eating. If your T won't come out and eat then there's no way you're going to force feed it so don't worrry about it...if it dies from starvation that's it's own fault and isn't much you can do about it.

I would do some basic research about tarantula habits in general and then focus my research to this particular species using the search engine here on the forum as well as possibly jumping in to the chat room and asking anyone who is in there. OBT's are NOT known for being visible spiders...

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try sprayin water on the side of the tank, right on top or close to the hide. This is how i get both of my p.murinus to come out. They will come out and drink.

missy

Arachnopeon
thanks for you replys will try the water sprayer in a min.

Last edited:

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My A.Avic did the same thing about a month before she moulted. She built this giant web in her skull (hide) and didnt come out at all for weeks.

Right when I was getting worried, she moulted

It's probably fine, just make sure it has water and the right temp in the cage

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mine was the same way for a long time after i got him. if you really want to see whats going on and she's made her web in the corner you can take a flashlight and shine through her web to see if there is any movement. i done it with mine just to make sure he was still alive. mine is out wondering about every night now but it took a while.