Bishopi maturity?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I asked this question over on the widow boards, but didn't get a hard and fast answer. So, you may just have to go mostly by size. Hopefully someone will give us some marking indicators.

I have several that I hope will mature fast enough for the males I have.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Obviously you'll know when the males mature. If you are concerned about breeding potential.....I have housed mature males with females that I thought were mature but were still a molt or two away. They cohabitated nicely until the female was ready. Just be sure that the ol' girl is well fed!

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I asked this question over on the widow boards, but didn't get a hard and fast answer. So, you may just have to go mostly by size. Hopefully someone will give us some marking indicators.

I have several that I hope will mature fast enough for the males I have.
Who runs the Widow Boards? I never new it existed. I can only assume that it is Mr. KUJordan? The most passionate widow man ever!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Obviously you'll know when the males mature. If you are concerned about breeding potential.....I have housed mature males with females that I thought were mature but were still a molt or two away. They cohabitated nicely until the female was ready. Just be sure that the ol' girl is well fed!
That is what I have now done, with the hopes that by knowing he has found a female, he will be less anxious and hold on for his chance to mate.

Richard of Nightmare Creatures started it. KUJrordan has posted there

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you can get close enough to see if the female epigynum has fully formed and sclerotized you can bet they are mature, however penultimate females often have genetalia that can fool you, so without a scope......and it's kinda hard to scope a live spider, it is difficult.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That actually might not be so hard. Given the way they hang upside down in the web; I think I could use my USB microscope fairly easily, as it comes off the stand and can be free held.

Unfortunately, I'm not so experienced about what to look for. I could try it with a couple that I know are mature. It should look pretty much the same regardless of specie, right?

Do you know of any pics online I could look at?