Birthing question

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So one of my C vittatus is giving birth right now. She's doing it on the edge of a peice of bark and some of the babies have fallen down, they are alive and moving. Does anybody know if she will move down to retreive them or will they be able to climb up and find her by themselves?

She also is holding a bunch with her mouth, though I'm sure she is just cleaning them(hopefully) or something like that as I've never seen a bark scorpion cannibalise her young. I've also never been around to watch the whole process (I either miss it entirely or it begins right when I have to go go work)

There is also another female with her, should I worry about that? (I've also only had scorps give birth alone or with males present)

Anyway, heres a pic to give you a better idea

If anyone has had a simililar experience and any advice to give I would appreciate it, though I'm sure this is one of those 'just sit and wait to see what happens things'.

And just to lighten the somber mood of this thread here are some pics from yesterdays activities wich included moving I2 Leiurus quinquestriatus (egyptian) out of the mothers enclosure.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
she will probably not retrieve them and the mother looks like she's eating her babies. Here is your chance to experience raising a 1st instar.
Here's what you should do. Get a small deli cup and put a really moist/wet tissue. Place those 1st instars in the cup and keep them nice and warm all the time. Make sure that the tissue is moist/wet at all times. I tried this method with my L.q's last year and some other species.

Here's some pics of my failed brood this year from my Iomachus politus but I raised them from 1st instar and all are doing well now.

Here's a pic of some of them at 1st instar. That's what I found when I came home. I actually have to disturbed the mother just so she'll let go of the babies.

Here they are now. I moved them in wet/moist cotton, you can also use toilet tissue if you like. The importat part is to make sure that the cotton or tissue is always moist/wet. Also, you have to give them proper heat 24/7. I give them 25C to 30C degrees and "always keep them in moist/wet tissue or cotton.

After 2-3 weeks of babysitting. They finally molted to 2nd instar.

Their first meal. I usually give them cut-up crickets but I didn't have any. All I had was baby mealworms. After 1 1/2 years of keeping this species. This is the first time I seen them stung their prey.

I hope the picture helps.

I'm not hijacking your thread in anyway. Just trying to help you. Pm me if my post is bothering you and I will get it deleted.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info.

I took a closer look a little bit after taking that pic and it looks like most of them aren't fully formed.

Should I get the separated babies out ASAP or wait untill mom is completely done before disturbing the cage?

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sooo, I took the 'pile' of babies/embryos away from the mom, separated the moving ones from the dead embryos, and put them in that set up you described. They are also near a heat lamp. Even if this works there are only 2 or three that I think have a decent chance, a few are stuck to a dead/half formed one so probably won't molt right.

I've got a male of the 'light morph', I'll see if "momma" will be willing to mate in a week or two. bleh