Bird spider definition?

jhilde

Arachnopeon
So I recently ordered a davus fasciatus sling from a reputable breeder here in canada. While researching this species I found one website refering to it as a bird spider. Now ive always just assumed t. blondi and others were refered to as birdeaters because of there size but davus fasciatus is a relatively small T. Can anyone enlighten me on what a bird spider is?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen Bird Spider used in place of tarantula at times, and in place of African baboon tarantulas depending upon the site, all European sites I might add.

cold blood

Staff member
Brid spider, or more commonly, birdeater, is a term that needs to go away...its almost meaningless....it essentially means a South American terrestrial that gets to 5" or more...that's a lot of spiders, making it a meaningless generic moniker. When someone says I have a birdeater, it tells us nothing.

Never heard of that species referred to as such though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
While I do agree that common names are a joke, IMO annoying, a pain and etc let's not forget one thing: Avicularia literally means birdeater, from Latin words Avi: birds and cularia: eater.

Of course this doesn't means that 'Avics' eats birds eh eh :-s

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Birdspider would be the translation of the German word for Tarantula which is Vogelspinne ( Vogel = bird Spinne = spider)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
.. But in all seriousness, every book I read about arachnids years ago referred to tarantulas as bird spiders. I never understood why. I could get why the "birdeaters" are called what they are but having seen a Davus fasciatum or an Aphonopelma hentzi referred to as bird spider :confused: .. I dunno

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Birdspider would be the translation of the German word for Tarantula which is Vogelspinne ( Vogel = bird Spinne = spider)
Yes, Theraphosidae is called "birdspiders" in a literal translation from a lot of non-English Germanic languages, including German (Vogelspinnen), Danish or Norwegian (fugleedderkop(p) ). Norwegian have been influenced by English, so a lot of people refer to a Theraphosidae spider as a tarantell, but that is strictly speaking incorrect. A tarantell is a Lycosa tarantula, a wolf spider. Since people use the word in a anglicised way in everyday speech, our official dictionary has two entries for tarantell: a) Lycosa tarantula, a wolf spider and b) see fugleedderkopp ("birdspiders").

Last edited:

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies.
You can google the origin of the name. I read somewhere that the name comes from a picture drawn by a woman which shows a spider eating a bird. The story should explain why people call them birdspiders, birdeaters or whatever else is out there.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I just see it as regional. like soda-pop. Some people say soda, others coke, some pop. Either way people get mad at you when you say it.