Bird Eater Question

ChadHorne

Arachnopeon
Need some help, I recently saw a Venezuelan Bird Eater at a petstore and was wondering what the main difference was from the know "Goliath Bird Eater" is it the same tarantula just a different name? Thanks for any help.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are lots of tarantulas with the name Bird Eater. The most commonly heard is the Goliath Birdeater which could refer to Theraphosa blondi or Theraphosa apophysis (The latter is often called Goliath Pinkfoot, not to be confused with Goliath Pinktoe which is Avicularia braunshauseni). Just like any African species seems to be labeled as a "baboon" spider, any one that gets big has the name "bird eater" slapped on it. You should know that common names are not worth anything because a lot of the time they are made up. (I can see that you are into herps so you probably know exactly what I am talking about ;) ) For example, there a several tarantulas that could go with the common name "mexican red knee", which is a common common name. The point is, we don't know what is in that shop. Would you mind taking pictures?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Need some help, I recently saw a Venezuelan Bird Eater at a petstore and was wondering what the main difference was from the know "Goliath Bird Eater" is it the same tarantula just a different name? Thanks for any help.
It's really hard to say what it was that was at the pet store. Anything could be labeled "Venezuelan Bird Eater". My guess would be it is likely just a T. blondi given the rarity of T. apophysis and unlikelihood of actually finding on in a pet store. Generally, though they are very similar species, with T. apophysis just being rarer and more expensive and having the faint "pink feet".

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Are you kidding? This thread just got started! Arachnoboards, attack! Argue, debate, flame, something!

{D {D j/k

-Sean

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow this is funny actually, i was just getting crickets and they had two "Panamanian Bird Eaters" and I really have no idea what they were btoh about 5-6" solid black(in the light) excluding some longish red hairs on the abdomen, the only thing i can make sense in my head is maybe B. vagans?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never trust common names that pet stores have cause they can make up anything, so truthfully that spider that you saw could have been anything.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know not to trust the names, it's trying to figure out what it really migh tbe that is difficult. I'm got a hunch it was some Brachypelma... maybe.

It couldn't have been anything, I assure you it wasn't a G. rosea