Bipolar?

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright- I know theres such thing as "psycho rosies", I also know most rosies are supposed to be pretty docile.

I purchased a rosie on the 11th, and I fully recognize she needs time to adjust to her new home. When she first arrived she was friendly as could be- hung out with me while i set up her tank and everything. Very gentle, very slow, very sweet little T. All of a sudden almost two weeks later [two weeks on tuesday], I've fed her a few times and she's suddenly very displeased about everything!

Cant even get my hand in the tank to change the water without her going defensive and flashing fangs.

Admittedly, I wonder if I did something wrong that she went from docile to angry, but at the same time I havent handled her much since I put her in the tank, just shuffling her around while cleaning [which she seemed pleased with]; but perhaps thats what caused it?

Hmm. Any ideas for a newblet?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I would laugh, but I have a little B. albo that threw up the most impressive threat stance I've ever seen last week. :evil:

Sounds like you're doing everything fine, Rosie's are notorious for weird behavior, and that would seem to cover everything it's doing so far :) Like any animal, individuals have their own personality for sure. Sounds to me like she settled in, adopted her new surroundings and is now out to protect her "area".

eporter

Arachnopeon
i have a rosie too and you are doing everything just fine from all accounts...but they are a little nutty, i like to call him my little random personality generator...sometimes he is just basking under his heat lamp (kid you not, it is 80 degrees in there) sometimes he slaps my fingers and other times he just moves away...so tis normal! :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cant even get my hand in the tank to change the water without her going defensive and flashing fangs.
I wouldn't put my hand in the tank then! ;) If you want her to be easier and calmer to handle, get a large deli cup/ something like it and remove her from the enclosure first, then handle. The same cup can be used to corral her while filling the water dish. Also, a good set of tongs can be very helpful in situations like this. (if you have a friend with bushy eyebrows over, there is also a very funny joke to be made with them as well)

Defensiveness + hand in their home = possible bite risk

Admittedly, I wonder if I did something wrong that she went from docile to angry, but at the same time I havent handled her much since I put her in the tank,
It's very doubtful that you have.

just shuffling her around while cleaning [which she seemed pleased with]; but perhaps thats what caused it?
What do you mean by shuffling her around while cleaning?

Hmm. Any ideas for a newblet?
Give it more time to settle in. Sometimes it can take a month or longer for a T to be settled in to a new home. :)

Ashphetamine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wouldn't put my hand in the tank then! ;) If you want her to be easier and calmer to handle, get a large deli cup/ something like it and remove her from the enclosure first, then handle. The same cup can be used to corral her while filling the water dish. Also, a good set of tongs can be very helpful in situations like this. (if you have a friend with bushy eyebrows over, there is also a very funny joke to be made with them as well)

Heh. True enough- I think I married someone like that; perhaps thats why I dont own a pair yet? {D

Defensiveness + hand in their home = possible bite risk

Honestly, Im not afraid of the bite so much as its stressing me to see her stressing!

It's very doubtful that you have.

Good to hear every time. I think my worry has started changing my comfort with her. And animals are sensitive to that sort of thing. I used the "Quick Reff Guide" to ensure i was handling her properly.

What do you mean by shuffling her around while cleaning?

Shuffling as in either picking her up and moving her with my palms or just by gently "shoo'ing" her with my fingers with a gentle nudge or tap on her legs or abdomen.

Give it more time to settle in. Sometimes it can take a month or longer for a T to be settled in to a new home. :)
Sounds good- as all this was my first instinct, I just figured Id check and see if they made Prozac for Rosies. ;)

I have some experience with Ts because my friends owned them, plus I take pride in my amount of common sense- as with any animal, there is a certain adjustment time, and each individual is different length. I believe I got to be over confident because she was so happy to be out of her shipping container. :p I would also like to say thank you to everyone on these forums for all the useful threads posted around here. I've been creepin in the Quick Ref [http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145454] and found a lot of helpful information there.

:D so THANK YOU. :D

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly, Im not afraid of the bite so much as its stressing me to see her stressing!
I am not afraid of the hurt the bite would cause me, I am worried that I will have an involuntary reaction to it and move my hand in a way that would send it flying, a simple flick of the wrist for example. I know the bite won't hurt too bad with a N(ew)W(orld) T, but the suddenness might startle me into harming my T.

The biggest trap I fell into was over worrying about them when I was a newbie. Those of us that have had mammals as pets are particularly prone to this. So, an important thing to remember is that they are the tarantula, so they are going to know what is best for them to do; even if it is baffling, or weird, or even a tad scary to you. As you have all your bases covered with their enclosure and always offer water in a dish or through the substrate and provide food/ room service when applicable; they should be fine. :D