Biollantefan54's Bug-Hunt Thread (PIC HEAVY)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, this will be where I post all the pictures I take of things I find around the yard, it'll include mostly invertebrates but may have some odd-balls tossed in. I hope you enjoy the pictures! :)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of these were from when I was in Ohatchee Alabama

---------- Post added 09-19-2015 at 09:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-19-2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

And that was all the bug hunting I did in Alabama, not including the L. reclusa

Last edited:

msmagsie

Arachnopeon
Oh man!! You've got one helluva back yard! Quite the variety of critters. Nice pics!!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This was from 6 days in Alabama, I am back home now so...not gonna have QUITE that variety here, I live more in a city compared to where those pics were taken.

obie

Arachnosquire
what kind of camera did you use, those are some great shots. i have a cannon sx50hd it does pretty good

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Camptonotus carolinensis

R. rabida

Suspect H. lenta

Toad

Caterpillar

Mystery insects on milkweed.

Butterflutter

Butterflutter v2

Monarch chrysalis

Mystery milkweed bug

R. rabida

---------- Post added 10-01-2015 at 11:06 PM ----------

Tiger swallowtail

Lycosid

Some kind of orb weaver

Philodromidae

Millipes

Dolomedes albineus

Philodromid

---------- Post added 10-01-2015 at 11:09 PM ----------

BIG T. sinensis I found! :D

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just took some more shots of the Chinese mantis, I know I didn't find this today but...oh well, I found her while bug hunting and I will post more pics of her! :D

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
How fast were those hand-held wolves (H. lenta and R. rapida)? Those are much bigger wolves than I can get locally (that I've found), and I can only picture they'd be greased lightning.

Epic shots as always!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It was in the 60's so it was chilly so they were a TINY bit slower then normal. The R. rabida was really slow and calm, the H. lenta was really fast, I saw him running around from his eye shine initially, he was calm once in my hand though.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 10:09 PM ----------

How fast were those hand-held wolves (H. lenta and R. rapida)? Those are much bigger wolves than I can get locally (that I've found), and I can only picture they'd be greased lightning.

Epic shots as always!
And thanks :D

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
It was in the 60's so it was chilly so they were a TINY bit slower then normal. The R. rabida was really slow and calm, the H. lenta was really fast, I saw him running around from his eye shine initially, he was calm once in my hand though.

---------- Post added 10-03-2015 at 10:09 PM ----------

And thanks :D
It's the "calm in the hand" part I need to get past. Those are such awesome creatures, but I feel like even reaching for them, I'd just crush them. Even the screen door salticids are too fast for me!

Not that I'm out to man-handle random backyard spiders, but I'd like to be able to wrangle them a bit better, for rescues when I'm lacking a catch cup.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Before I pick these larger wolfs up, I tap them with a piece of grass to see if they are defensive, then I put a hand in front, a hand behind, and then tap the leg and nudge it onto my other hand. Sometimes they run over it a few times but they usually slow down quite quickly.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hate the weather, it is already getting cold, looking forward to spring and summer all ready!