BioDude Bioactive LED

chasinbenjamins1

Arachnopeon
I know everyone says bioactive is a waste of time but.. I just purchased a biodude kit and the LED seems awfully bright. I haven't put the tarantula in yet because I wanted to get the plants started before putting her in. Will it be too bright for the T? Should I try to dim it? Is my tarantula going to be hiding all the time because of it?

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
As long as the spider has a nice dark hide it will be fine. Will probably hide in day and be more active in the dark.

I know everyone says bioactive is a waste of time but.. I just purchased a biodude kit and the LED seems awfully bright. I haven't put the tarantula in yet because I wanted to get the plants started before putting her in. Will it be too bright for the T? Should I try to dim it? Is my tarantula going to be hiding all the time because of it?
Hi there
Ideally you want your light to be dimmable.Too bright light can damage your tarantulas already poor eyesight if it doesn't go into its hide.Also you must ensure the light source doesn't give off any heat Led lights are ideal.
Having said that you really don't need to have the light on all the time.A photoperiod of 6 hours will be enough for your plants although you may experience slower plant growth.
Regards Konstantin

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I would like to know for what species do you intend to use a bioactive enclosure? Could you post pictures of the enclosure?

chasinbenjamins1

Arachnopeon
I would like to know for what species do you intend to use a bioactive enclosure? Could you post pictures of the enclosure?
Hi Ill send pics a bit later but I'm doing it for a curly, versicolor, and Brazilian blue dwarf beauty.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
imagine most arboreal live lowish in the canopy so light will be broken at best. They will flee from bright direct light, so have a place for them to go. Find plants that need less light

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hi Ill send pics a bit later but I'm doing it for a curly, versicolor, and Brazilian blue dwarf beauty.
I don't think bioactive enclosures are a waste of time, I love them! But I've to say I'm always a bit hesitant when people want to do a bioactive enclosure for tarantulas, especially beginners. For me, bioactive enclosures mean loads of live plants, microfauna and high humidity, and these conditions are fine for dart frogs or geckos, animals that need exactly these conditions in their enclosure. But this doesn't apply to most Ts, and definitely not the ones you have chosen. I'm not saying it can't be done but IMO it's risky, especially when you're new to things.

C. versicolor needs proper ventilation, high humidity and stagnant air kills them.
T. albopilosus likes to burrow, but in a proper bioactive enclosure there should be a drainage layer which would be counterproductive.
D. diamantinensis is more of an arid species that webs a lot and will probably web up every plant in its vicinity and kill it.

I would strongly advise against a bioactive enclosure, at least for now until you're more experienced with T keeping in general. :)