Bioactive vivarium for hissers

BonnieClyde

Arachnopeon
I have a bunch of gromphadorhina portentosa that I'm interested in creating a bioactive enclosure for. Are there any plants that will grow under the light that hissers like? Also will they just end up eating the plants?

It sounds like a fun project but I understand if it's not a realistic one

Jimbob

Arachnosquire
Mine are kept bioactively, but I haven't used any plants. Hissers end up eating just about anything IME, I can't imagine many plants holding up to them.

Tellorcha

Arachnosquire
I just set up a bioactive enclosure for my hissers a few weeks ago, so I'm still not sure how it will go in the long term; however, I planted two spider plants and both are doing well alongside the roaches. I have 7 adults and a ton of babies, and they seem to prefer eating the grains/cat food, fruits and dead leaf litter over the spider plants. So far I have only seen 2 tiny bite marks on the plants. Spider plant can do well in low light as long as it's kept well watered, though my light is pretty bright and they're doing well with that too. Pothos is another fast growing option that might work, but I haven't tried that with hissers yet. If you get a pothos it can easily be split into a bunch of cuttings so you can keep some backups if they munch it up!
So far, my observation is keep them well fed and they'll largely ignore the plants! Worth a shot, it looks nice. Good luck! :D