Bioactive terrarium try

Borious

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I've decided to make a DIY bioactive terrarium for my p metallica T. I've put the following:
- medium light and water plant
- moss I've picked myself
- mix of soil for palms and coconut substrate
- dwarf isopods

I am mostly concerned if the flora will be able to acclimate and if mold is a concern since there is no drainage layer. I am open for suggestions and critics. Thanks.

Attachments

buffalo

Arachnopeon
I’d use springtails for mold removal. While I haven’t heard any horror stories re: isopods, many suggest the potential for them to chew on a molting T. Cheers!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So just for education, “bioactive” is a marketing ploy, but a planted tank is more accurate. It’s not a bad first attempt but it won’t make much of a different to your Poecilotheria, usually when I make a planted tank the purpose is to create some cover around the hide so that if feels natural to help it feel more secure and be visible more if you follow that. People will say that planting a tank is purely for the keeper aesthetically, and I would agree that a lot of tanks I see that are “bioactive” are done in a way that yes it provides no benefit for the tarantula but I don’t agree with that as a blanket statement as the vivariums I produce I have seen benefits like quicker settling in for example. See below for how I go about laying out a planted tank for an arboreal theraphosid species

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Hi everyone,

I've decided to make a DIY bioactive terrarium for my p metallica T. I've put the following:
- medium light and water plant
- moss I've picked myself
- mix of soil for palms and coconut substrate
- dwarf isopods

I am mostly concerned if the flora will be able to acclimate and if mold is a concern since there is no drainage layer. I am open for suggestions and critics. Thanks.
As @Smotzer mentioned, planted≠bioactive.

Regarding to your setup, I'd be concerned about the soil and the moss. The soil because you choose one that was specifically formulated for parlor palms (Chamaedorea elegans), and you should choose the soil having the T in mind, so no added fertilizers or chemicals, just to be safe.

The moss, they need a lot of moisture, so you will end up soaking the substrate 100% for sure. Better to swap it for some dry leaves etc.

The Chamaedorea does not require a lot of atention, a light watering from time to time to keep the area moist, nothing else.

Now, how much ventilation you have? Because you will need a lot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would agree that a lot of tanks I see that are “bioactive” are done in a way that yes it provides no benefit for the tarantula but I don’t agree with that as a blanket statement as the vivariums I produce are far superior to the average crap one sees.

When you’re a superior bioactive builder like myself, you can’t help but notice my skills over the rest of the pack
You don’t say… :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Clearly I did say that!! At least I am moving up from the Slumlord:rofl:

these from you always make me laugh! This might be your best yet!
Thanks! That's a great setup, but no frogs!! I know why.

I've done some good ones with CB, he was the was first one I did it with. Some really funny ones.