Bioactive Tarantula Exo Terra Terrariums Questions!

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I just changed the cricket food ahaha!

I saw that Avicularia cf. avicularia are considered beginner arboreal Tarantulas. Would this be a good contender for a future 12x12x12" setup if I get a 1/2" one and keep it in a small tall container until it's big enough to move into the bioactive humid one. I read that they need to be kept at high temperatures (25-29 at day and 20-25 at night). So what heating factor would I need if necessary for it's enclosure?
I would recommend against trying to keep Avicularinae in a bio active enclosure. They do not do well in stuffy/humid spaces. Anything you're seeing with a recommendation to keep them at specific temps/humidity levels or which includes regular misting is an outdated source and should be discarded. Following those outdated sources kills Avics. Current best practice for this genus is "dry substrate, water dish, lots of ventilation (cross-flow)" which you won't be able to maintain while keeping the environment appropriate for the cleanup crew and plants. They're very cool, but also inappropriate for these enclosures.

Edited to add:
Somehow I missed that @Thekla also covered this.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I saw that Avicularia cf. avicularia are considered beginner arboreal Tarantulas. Would this be a good contender for a future 12x12x12" setup if I get a 1/2" one and keep it in a small tall container until it's big enough to move into the bioactive humid one. I read that they need to be kept at high temperatures (25-29 at day and 20-25 at night). So what heating factor would I need if necessary for it's enclosure?
Dont read care sheets, period!

Humid is how you kill avics. Terrible choice for a bioactive.

No t requires high heat, not one single species.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
This is how an Exo Terra should look like for an Avic or - in this case - a Caribena versicolor:

ACY enclosure.jpg

And before anyone asks... of course, I replaced the mesh lid with an acrylic sheet with loads of drilled holes in it. ;)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
There is also the risk of isopods munching on a molting T. Legit concern. Stick to springtails only if you go ahead with this. Unlike a reptile, tarantulas don't make a big enough mess to worry about adding isopods.

larouchearachnids

Arachnopeon
Dont read care sheets, period!

Humid is how you kill avics. Terrible choice for a bioactive.

No t requires high heat, not one single species.
I understand but you don't have to come on this thread just to spazz at everything I mention, as I said I'm a beginner. Please relax I don't need negative energy on this thread! just trying to learn and get pertinent info.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I understand but you don't have to come on this thread just to spazz at everything I mention, as I said I'm a beginner. Please relax I don't need negative energy on this thread! just trying to learn and get pertinent info.
Uhh... You do realize that he's both a breeder/long time keeper, and moderator here, right? Also, I think maybe it's possible you're overreacting a bit. With the possible exception of one exclamation point, everything in that response read as purely factual and educational to me. But enough of the meta-commentary, it's become clear that you could benefit from doing a bit more research, so I'm going to suggest that you spend some time reading this thread and everything linked in it as well as watching some of Tom Moran's YouTube vids of beginner tips and suggested beginner species.

I totally understand the desire to go bioactive, I was there myself, but ultimately came to realize that very few beginner or intermediate tarantula species are appropriate for such and that in the end it really complicates what should be simple care. The bioactive enclosure I set up last year is still unoccupied by anything other than plants and cleanup crew and will stay that way until I find a "can't pass it up" deal on a moisture dependent species or decide to repurpose it for a non-tarantula occupant.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In terms of temperature, the rule of thumb is if you are comfy enough with the temp then the T is good.

Humidity is more complicated. Specifically for Avic, humidity is fine AS LONG AS there is sufficient cross ventilation.
There are plenty of people keeping Avic in Asian countries which are so humid that moist clothes left hanging under direct sunlight won't dry!
It's not humidity per se that kills Avic, it's stagnant humid air.

larouchearachnids

Arachnopeon
Thanks I'll check those youtube videos out! @Pyroxian
I can keep the two enclosures I have made already for a cleanup crew only perhaps like you until I find the right animal for it. The third enclosure will be setup nonbioactive or bioactive with little plants to assure it doesnt get too humid and complicate things as mentioned earlier in this thread, and without a drainage layer. This would be for a proper arboreal tarantula setup in the future when the Tarantula will be big enough to switch to the bigger terrarium.

Thanks @testdasi , I'll take that into condiseration and I'll need to change the top for an acrylic one with ventilation holes drilled like @Thekla

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
They might be good for dart frogs.
Too small for dart frogs to be comfortable. The enclosures are only 7.5 gallons.

Unfortunately, the company makes enclosures that look great and are touted to be good for small reptiles, but they're really not ideal for most (any) reptiles. It'll be Hard to get any temperature gradient in that space.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
If anything, I think the OP should take all this as learning experience. The key to good husbandry is knowing as much as humanly possible about the species you intend to keep and satisfying it’s captive needs. Bioactive husbandry does not necessarily equal better husbandry and it is not a one size fits all approach. Many of you know my opinion about bioactive setups and Ts. @Thekla @moricollins . Bioactive is a trend in the invert community now and it is often poorly employed and fails to accomplish it’s intended purpose. To be fair to the OP there is a tremendous amount of misinformation out there and as such I’ll cut you some slack. However just because an idea is popular doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s correct. I would advise you to listen to experienced keepers and above all ask yourself “does my enclosure satisfy the needs of my animal and will it thrive in the conditions i have created for it.? “. End rant

cold blood

Staff member
What are you talking about, I am just offering help...how are you thinking I am spazzing out or being negative?

Your reaction is completely baffling.