Biggest most impressive pede in hobby?

morg59jeep

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What species that is available regularly has the most "WOW!" to it?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'm going to have to go for any of the Scolopendra heros, the S.heros arizonensis banded picture is attached. The hybrids of course are ultra rare. There are other very nice centipedes like gigantea and hardwickei but chances of acquiring them are slim.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you ask me, all Scolopendra are very impressive. But I suppose the tiger-leg subspinipes stands out.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
For some reason a number of vendors have S. polymorpha large specimens presently. Usually everyone has little ones. Those are actually quite nice and cheap.

arachnoid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember when I first saw this pic, easily the most impressive centipede I have ever seen, even if it appears defanged. I heard these black centipedes used to be more common in the trade some time ago. Now I only hear about them in stories about the Galapagos or some island off the coast of northwestern S. America.

Last edited:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OMG, that has to be the fattest, bulkiest Scolo I have seen :eek:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I remember that pic, I think I will never get it out of my head as long as I live.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe that's a color morph of S. gigantea. Someone was selling them a while back for an insane price, iirc.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I thought it was S. viridicornis? Sold by Mark Something on Kingsnake.com a while back.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How does it appear defanged from that picture?
Anyways, to the OP, in my opinion the largest pedes from South America, S. Gigantea, S. Viridicornis, S. galapagoensis, are the most stunning of the big pedes.
But you can add to the list S. Hardwickei!

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
S.hardwickei one of my favorite

S.subspinipes get fat to

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ tell me about it!:eek:

Sad thing is, not many people offer them and when they do they never seem to have the species I want for a decent price.

I was going to buy a pede last week, then the price doubled overnight.:( I would love to find an S.s. dehaani sumatra green leg.:drool:

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
^ tell me about it!:eek:

Sad thing is, not many people offer them and when they do they never seem to have the species I want for a decent price.

I was going to buy a pede last week, then the price doubled overnight.:( I would love to find an S.s. dehaani sumatra green leg.:drool:
If you find any S.s. dehaani sumatra green leg let me know as they are at the top of my short list along with Malaysian Jewel .

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah..I havent ever seen them offered. I have only seen a few pics. The Malaysian jewel is nice, but IMHO Harwicki is better looking.

My short list goes as follows.

S.s. dehaani sumatra green leg

S.s. hardwiki(spelling?)

Scolopendra heros arizonensis banded

there are a few more, but those are on the TO GET LIST!

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I mean, this is the only pictures I can find of the sexy beast!

:eek:

http://rejang-lebong.blogspot.com/2009/07/scolopendra-subspinipes-dehaani-brandt.html

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah..I havent ever seen them offered. I have only seen a few pics. The Malaysian jewel is nice, but IMHO Harwicki is better looking.

My short list goes as follows.

S.s. dehaani sumatra green leg

S.s. hardwiki(spelling?)S.s.hardwickei
Scolopendra heros arizonensis banded

there are a few more, but those are on the TO GET LIST!

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I mean, this is the only pictures I can find of the sexy beast!

:eek:

http://rejang-lebong.blogspot.com/2009/07/scolopendra-subspinipes-dehaani-brandt.html

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is just one sexy pede....

I wish I had one...or ten...