Biggest brown recluse I've ever seen.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Was at work, and saw this guy crawling on the wall. Biggest one I've seen in my five or six years living in recluse country. It's a male, larger than the quarter I put him next to. I still have him, if anyone wants him. Dunno if he'd survive the trip, though, he surely doesn't have long to live.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey ...I am in need of one of those. Trade ya something for it. ?

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Certainly. And if you want more, I can find them. What did you have in mind?

Techuser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks likes the same species of one that I found once, it has almost 6cm

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's L. reclusa. They're quite common here. The only reason I caught this one is that he was so big.

Count Tarantula

Arachnopeon
Male?

I'm just getting into true spiders, I've collected T's for about a year and a half. I was just wondering, How could you tell that it is a male or I guess my question is how do you sex a true spider such as a brown recluse?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With Sicarids I've found that Palps don't sweel too much at all but the abdomen size is a very good distinguishing feature

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, with recluses, you can pretty much tell adult males from females by the proportional body structures. males have extremely long legs for their body size (as in pic), but females look more proportional. only with very close inspection can you tell much difference in palp structure.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, the long legs, small abdomen, and he does have his boxing gloves on. It's not hard to see on this individual when actually looking at him, but the palpal buds don't show up in the picture well.

Mistwalker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, he's eating, at least. He seems to like the roaches that infest these apartments :)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Guh. Our old rental house was infested with these things. I can't tell you how many times I found one crawling on me while on the couch, in the computer chair, putting shoes or clothes on. Fortunately neither of us were ever bitten, by some miracle I'm sure.

Although I never did see any as big as that, thankfully. :eek:

They are the quintessential creepy spider for me. Leggy, move like a shadow on the floor and blend in with everything, AND can give a nasty necrotic bite. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep them. Widows I can understand, they're gorgeous, but Recluses? Nuh uh. =P