Bigger Heating Mat?

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
I have created a microclimate for my 4 T's but the temp is not going any higher than 70 degrees. I was curious if I purchase the next sized heating mat if that would help or hinder my T's cause of excessive heat.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I trust that you have a temperature controller hooked up to this 'microclimate' to avoid cooking your collection?
If the temperature doesn't dip too far below 70F, you might want to leave it at that. Heat mats...I don't trust em. I got a temperature controller for my oil heater a few years back, and life is great. Never gets sweaty OR chilly in the room, NEVER have to adjust the knob. Set the controller at 73F, heater on low, and walk away. Humidity is a persistent issue with artificial heat sources, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of your system's 'effects' before long. Remember that temperatures around the mid to high 70s are NOT a requirement for the survival of most captive species. Don't 'sweat' the heat too much, and keep those water bowls topped off....

Bugmom

Arachnolord
What species of T's? 70 should be just fine for them. There's not a lot of species that NEED higher temps than that.

I would use heat cable over heat pads. I much prefer it when I need to heat more than one enclosure. And I second horanjp - you MUST use a temp controller on ALL heat sources.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
75 What I set room heater to. Actual temp is 73 most times and 77inside my stirmi enclosures. The top to their enclosures trap humidity and keeps it warmer inside. Don't use a mat, far too risky. I now have eight tarantulas plus some slings and have yet to have a death. Well, I've had four for over a year and just got the other four over last few months, but still 100% track record with zero deaths.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never use a heat mat.
Not exactly, specifically it depends on how the heat mat is mounted. I've seen people mount them so that they are not directly in contact w/the T containers. A breeder in England did this quite well.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I believe OP is referencing a youtube video (
) that I created of my micro climate. The heat mat is attached to a glass cup that is set inside the micro climate which is not in direct contact with any of the tarantula enclosures. Mine was holding a temp of 81 during the summer. Now that it has cooled off, it holds a temp of 76. I have also debated putting an 8 watt heater in place of my 4 watt for the winter months.

Ron Robbins Jr

Arachnopeon
I have a heat mat across the back of my stirmi's tank. It's an 11x17" 12watt Exo-Terra one, it barely produces any heat at all really (I'm not sure if it's defective, or if it's just built that way, that's how it was when I got it), but it gets cold down in the basement during winter months, so it's pretty much necessary. It covers the middle portion of the side of the tank and warms up that side pane so it's slightly warm to the touch and makes a little heat pocket around there that she hangs out in... doesn't get super warm though.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I have a heat mat across the back of my stirmi's tank. It's an 11x17" 12watt Exo-Terra one, it barely produces any heat at all really (I'm not sure if it's defective, or if it's just built that way, that's how it was when I got it), but it gets cold down in the basement during winter months, so it's pretty much necessary. It covers the middle portion of the side of the tank and warms up that side pane so it's slightly warm to the touch and makes a little heat pocket around there that she hangs out in... doesn't get super warm though.
You have to understand... we are warm blooded creatures. Our body temp. is on average, 98.6 degrees F. If the heat mat is "slightly warm" it could, in reality be in the 90's. That's not very healthy for a t, especially considering that you have the heat mat directly touching the t's enclosure. make a micro-climate or something similar as shown above.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I believe OP is referencing a youtube video (
) that I created of my micro climate. The heat mat is attached to a glass cup that is set inside the micro climate which is not in direct contact with any of the tarantula enclosures. Mine was holding a temp of 81 during the summer. Now that it has cooled off, it holds a temp of 76. I have also debated putting an 8 watt heater in place of my 4 watt for the winter months.
I really like this idea, really simple but effective. Do you find that the ventilation is not an issue?

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I really like this idea, really simple but effective. Do you find that the ventilation is not an issue?
I have not had a ventalation issue. You can always adjust the number of holes. My Avic. is alive and well, so I assume ventilation is good.

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
What species of T's? 70 should be just fine for them. There's not a lot of species that NEED higher temps than that.

I would use heat cable over heat pads. I much prefer it when I need to heat more than one enclosure. And I second horanjp - you MUST use a temp controller on ALL heat sources.
I have an LP, Red Knee, V. SunTiger, and GBB.

USMCVET

Arachnopeon
Mine is set up like in that video posted by Cycling Sam. Have a heat mat wrapped around a glass; not touching any of my enclosures.