Bigger enclosure?

Ginnip

Arachnopeon
Hello. My a.geniculata just molted and I’m wondering if it’s finally time to move her into a new enclosure. Just wanted some opinions on size as before she molted, she was practically flying out of the enclosure when it was feeding time, but I also know that is not necessarily beneficial to give a T too much space as a juvenile. In the photo, she’s also a bit curled up as she gets scared when I open the enclosure, so it might be hard to see her full leg span.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You shouldn't house a tiny sling in a too big enclosure, but your juvenile can very well do with a bigger home. :)

Ginnip

Arachnopeon
You shouldn't house a tiny sling in a too big enclosure, but your juvenile can very well do with a bigger home. :)
Thank you! I figured that now she could use a bigger home with a nice hide. Any suggestions on the enclosure dimension size? I’d love to place her in a larger enclosure to minimize the rehomes as she is quick and thinks everything is food. :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, she needs a much larger home. This is a species that goes outside the norm a bit for two reasons - they moult frequently and they can gain a huge amount of size each moult compared to most other NW species. My girl jumped 1.5" in one moult when she went from 3" to 4.5" - I had never seen that kind of increase.
I noticed a very distinct behaviour from her when she was outgrowing her enclosure. She would be far more skittish and kick hairs at me all the time. She refused to use her hide, but she was obviously feeling threatened in the smaller enclosure. The minute that I moved her, she relaxed and completely stopped kicking hair. She was a totally different spider. I moved her to her adult home at a much smaller size than I would have for another NW terrestrial species.
You need to let your spider tell you when it is time for a bigger enclosure. Obviously nervous behaviour can be a good indicator that they want more space to move away from you when you interact with their home.

Ginnip

Arachnopeon
Yes, she needs a much larger home. This is a species that goes outside the norm a bit for two reasons - they moult frequently and they can gain a huge amount of size each moult compared to most other NW species. My girl jumped 1.5" in one moult when she went from 3" to 4.5" - I had never seen that kind of increase.
I noticed a very distinct behaviour from her when she was outgrowing her enclosure. She would be far more skittish and kick hairs at me all the time. She refused to use her hide, but she was obviously feeling threatened in the smaller enclosure. The minute that I moved her, she relaxed and completely stopped kicking hair. She was a totally different spider. I moved her to her adult home at a much smaller size than I would have for another NW terrestrial species.
You need to let your spider tell you when it is time for a bigger enclosure. Obviously nervous behaviour can be a good indicator that they want more space to move away from you when you interact with their home.
That’s a great explanation. I’m sure my T would be less skittish in a much larger enclosure so they don’t have to hide or kick hairs every time I have to fill the water dish!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That’s a great explanation. I’m sure my T would be less skittish in a much larger enclosure so they don’t have to hide or kick hairs every time I have to fill the water dish!
Yep, I bet you that they will be less reactive... my girl sure was. It was like night and day with her. Beautiful species, I absolutely adore my girl and she is very good for the most part. However, their hairs positively suck and you want to do everything you can to avoid them being shared around.
This is my Naomi...
DSC09872-2.jpg

Ginnip

Arachnopeon
Yep, I bet you that they will be less reactive... my girl sure was. It was like night and day with her. Beautiful species, I absolutely adore my girl and she is very good for the most part. However, their hairs positively suck and you want to do everything you can to avoid them being shared around.
This is my Naomi...
View attachment 324403
Naomi is gorgeous!

Cully

Arachnopeon
I moved her to her adult home at a much smaller size than I would have for another NW terrestrial species.
If you don't mind my asking, what size adult home? When I bought my A. genic at 2" the seller recommended a 20L enclosure as an adult home. Mine is still in a 12x12x5 that the seller provided, but is close to move out time...