Big tarantula species and legs posture

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

l noticed that big species had a thing with their legs. I noticed that in feeding videos (mostly on Theraphosa species) and also on my huge Megaphobema sling. See that posture their legs take when laying on substrate or while taking down preys? Has anyone of you noticed that? Do you know why bigger species tend to place their legs this way? I am talking about the legs kind of spreading out on the substrate
Image (from a DarkDen feeding video) to illustrate what I am talking about

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Seems like a normal takedown. Big spiders tend to crouch a bit to grab prey so nothing too special to me as I see it almost every time and every day.

vounti

Arachnoknight
Indeed I figured out it was perfectly fine. I am just curious on how does that help? What is the reason? Better balance maybe?

basin79

ArachnoGod
From my experience watching mine being large, livefood is often much smaller than them so they utilise their legs to manoeuvre prey. Sometimes they just leave them tucked under.

Here's my Pamphobeteus sp Costa slowed down slightly. Unfortunately had to make it a GIF but you can still see.

8FC5514B-4D3F-4E3F-B9AC-292ACD393CF5.gif

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
They instinctually try to wrap all their legs around the prey, so it doesn't escape. You will see that in smaller spiders where the prey is the same size as them - they will grab it with all their legs. You also see it in the species with voracious appetites - they grab up substrate and whatnot along with the prey.