Big steps for arachnophobic BF

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I almost forgot to tell about the huge steps my arachnophobic bf made earlier in the week :eek:

He ASKED to watch me pack some of my tarantulas when I sent off most my collection :eek:

He watched me do one of the G. pulchripes, 3-4", easy peasy one to pack. Although he did about crawl out of his skin because I got it on crawl onto my hand :D He watched me get a C. fimbriatus, 1/2", sling into a straw. Then he actually *helped* (blocked one side with the tongs) convince the A. hentzi, 3/4", sling to go into a straw. And finally he actually stayed in the bathroom while I unhoused & packed the female P. murinus, 3".

Keeping in mind, this is the guy who has refused to do any over nights at my house over the last two months (well, combined with his AC working way better then mine) & freaked out at Petsmart last month because one of the G. roseas was cleaning :rolleyes:

Baby steps I say :D

Not sure he's the type to get into keeping them, but i'll settle for just him being comfortable with me being able to have some display tanks out in the open.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Petsmart sells T's?
The one about an hour from me does. They completely redid the reptile setup, it's actually a really, really nice display. However, they built a completely new Petsmart in my town in August & we have the regular reptile setup :(

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Aw! That's sweet. I thought hubby was going to be skeeved forever about me wanting spiders, but he really got into it with me. Hopefully, your BF will come around and realize that a spider in a tank isn't going to jump on his face and implant crazy alien babies into him or something. :D

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I almost forgot to tell about the huge steps my arachnophobic bf made earlier in the week :eek:

Not sure he's the type to get into keeping them, but i'll settle for just him being comfortable with me being able to have some display tanks out in the open.
Sounds like you're making some progress already. If you can find his comfort zone and tie tarantulas into his interests, you might get him to start LIKING the beasts. If he likes to read and is comfortable reading about tarantulas, get him a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide or some other natural history book with tarantula information in it. If he spends much time online - point him to websites with tarantula pictures or discussion. As he learns about them in a "safe" zone, he might get more comfortable with them around the house.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yay! I'm glad he is taking those baby steps :D

I've have my tarantulas for a year already, and the hubby is definitely come a long way.
He was pretty freaked out by my first T, an adult G. rosea, but once I started getting slings, he was able to see how pretty they are without feeling the threat :D

Don't make fun of him when he freaks out, and acknowledge his progress in overcoming his fear :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like you're making some progress already. If you can find his comfort zone and tie tarantulas into his interests, you might get him to start LIKING the beasts. If he likes to read and is comfortable reading about tarantulas, get him a copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide or some other natural history book with tarantula information in it. If he spends much time online - point him to websites with tarantula pictures or discussion. As he learns about them in a "safe" zone, he might get more comfortable with them around the house.
He's pretty much already done this :D Reading & learning about them is what got him past the point of even being unable to look at a picture of one, much less a real one.

He actually knows a lot about them & understands a good bit when i'm talking about them :)