Big Pile of Happy

mickiem

Arachnoprince
IMG_3701.JPG i received some Aphelori tigana today. This is what they have done since they arrived 10 hours ago. Nothing like a happy pile of pedes. I think there are 7 in this pile. ;)

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I haven ever seen that sp for sale before how's there requirements pretty basic

mickiem

Arachnoprince
They are really active. I think they move faster than any other pede. Another fun one to watch.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I haven ever seen that sp for sale before how's there requirements pretty basic
I got them from BIC. They need more wood than most. I have read you can keep them on 100% rotten wood. Their temps need to be cooler as well.

I hope others weigh in with their experience since I am new with these.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agreed with lots of wood and they absolutely need cooler temps. I believe people have had the most success keeping them in wine coolers, though you may be able to keep things cool with those plastic ice block things you can get at the store. Put one on the bottom and that should hopefully cool the enclosure enough. The substrate should hold the coolness fairly well too, so they can burrow down to get really cool if need be.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Agreed with lots of wood and they absolutely need cooler temps. I believe people have had the most success keeping them in wine coolers, though you may be able to keep things cool with those plastic ice block things you can get at the store. Put one on the bottom and that should hopefully cool the enclosure enough. The substrate should hold the coolness fairly well too, so they can burrow down to get really cool if need be.
Thank you so much! So what are their max and min temps? I'll make the substrate a little deeper. I have a few cool rooms in my house; they stay around 68. Hoping that will work.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you so much! So what are their max and min temps? I'll make the substrate a little deeper. I have a few cool rooms in my house; they stay around 68. Hoping that will work.
@ErinM31, @zonbonzovi would probably have a better idea of temps. I think 68F should be ok, but I'd say that's towards the top of the temp to keep them at. Min temps can probably be in the upper 40s, though growth may slow down.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
@ErinM31, @zonbonzovi would probably have a better idea of temps. I think 68F should be ok, but I'd say that's towards the top of the temp to keep them at. Min temps can probably be in the upper 40s, though growth may slow down.
I would appreciate any advice I could get! This one is Apheloria tigana and I also got Auturus evides. I have been keeping feathers for 3 months and they are doing well and breeding in those cool rooms.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I have not yet had success breeding Apheloria tigana, but the Xystodesmids that I had the longest were kept in a wine cooler at 65F. I think that 68F should work well too. I kept several A. tigana last year at room temperature (which despite AC, climbs above 80F summer afternoons) and they still lived for at least 3 months but I would definitely recommend trying cooler temps as you are. My Harpaphe lived ~9 months in the cooler and had offspring which are growing and doing well. :happy:

I would recommend plenty of decayed wood but also decaying leaves large enough for the millipedes to hide under although they will also burrow in the substrate.

I wish you all the best and please keep us updated! :D

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have not yet had success breeding Apheloria tigana, but the Xystodesmids that I had the longest were kept in a wine cooler at 65F. I think that 68F should work well too. I kept several A. tigana last year at room temperature (which despite AC, climbs above 80F summer afternoons) and they still lived for at least 3 months but I would definitely recommend trying cooler temps as you are. My Harpaphe lived ~9 months in the cooler and had offspring which are growing and doing well. :happy:

I would recommend plenty of decayed wood but also decaying leaves large enough for the millipedes to hide under although they will also burrow in the substrate.

Thanks, Erin! I don't notice these guys burrowing at all. How deep you keep your substrate? Mine is only a few inches but then I have lots of decaying sticks and leaves and they hide under that. Do they ever enjoy anything fresh?

Hope you are doing well. Glad the Harpaphes are still doing well!

mickiem

Arachnoprince

Where do they lay eggs? How long to hatch? Where can I find more info???

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thanks, Erin! I don't notice these guys burrowing at all. How deep you keep your substrate? Mine is only a few inches but then I have lots of decaying sticks and leaves and they hide under that. Do they ever enjoy anything fresh?

Hope you are doing well. Glad the Harpaphes are still doing well!
I also kept mine several inches deep. However, it was a while before I added leaves (at that point, I was keeping all my Polydesmida millipedes with 100% wood but I now think that's only best for those whose native microhabitat is that -- i.e., Euryurids) and I also kept them warmer so mine may have been burrowing for either of those reasons. In any case, I would not worry about it -- hiding is good! I would only worry if they were pacing around the perimeter of the enclosure.

I haven't observed any of my Xystodesmids to eat anything besides decaying wood and leaves but it doesn't hurt to offer a small amount and see. :) There are so many variables and limited information on the preferences of most millipede species!

I have several Harpaphe pedelings still growing and doing well, thank you! :happy: Sadly, I lost a number in one rehousing; I believe the cause was the wrong mix of substrate. Decaying hardwood such as oak seems to be the best diet and Douglas fir debris should be present but not the primary component of the substrate. :writer:

Where do they lay eggs? How long to hatch? Where can I find more info???
I wish I knew!!! If you find information, please let me know! Alas, there is not enough natural history in the millipede literature and most focuses on phylogeny and minute differences in genitalia. o_O Most people have difficulty keeping Xystodesmids alive in captivity, much less breeding them, but hopefully we'll make progress! If you are able to get substrate/decaying wood/leaves from their native habitat, I would highly recommend doing so as that was key to my success with Harpaphe. I observed mating among Apheloria, Pleuroloma and Sigmoria that I've had, but I only got offspring from the Harpaphe (and all that I can tell you about their eggs is that they are laid buried in the substrate and it seems that a large number are laid at once, judging by the large number of tiny pedelings that appeared all at once).