Big Pile of Happy

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
I'm in the process of preparing a tank for my first millipedes of this type, probably Auturus evides but maybe Apheloria tigana, so the info in this thread is very helpful. Thank you!

One of my sources for leaves and bark has been a large red oak tree in my pesticide-free yard, so hearing that they like decayed oak is encouraging. (Everything has been oven sterilized, of course)

I'm planning on keeping them in a glass aquarium in the stone basement of a well air-conditioned building, so I'm hoping the room temps will stay pretty low even in the summer. Any additional tips for cooling the tank further? I heard someone on a different site suggest putting a thin sheet of styrofoam on the outside bottom and back of the tank to help insulate.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I'm in the process of preparing a tank for my first millipedes of this type, probably Auturus evides but maybe Apheloria tigana, so the info in this thread is very helpful. Thank you!

One of my sources for leaves and bark has been a large red oak tree in my pesticide-free yard, so hearing that they like decayed oak is encouraging. (Everything has been oven sterilized, of course)

I'm planning on keeping them in a glass aquarium in the stone basement of a well air-conditioned building, so I'm hoping the room temps will stay pretty low even in the summer. Any additional tips for cooling the tank further? I heard someone on a different site suggest putting a thin sheet of styrofoam on the outside bottom and back of the tank to help insulate.
Auturus evides are very easy to care for and, with the right conditions, will reproduce exponentially! They do best with damp 100% decayed wood substrate (some coir mixed in is fine so long as there is decayed wood throughout -- the babies are TINY!). Besides the decayed wood, I occasionally supplement their diet with a piece of kibble or fresh apple, carrot or sweet potato and this is enjoyed. :) Good luck!