Big pedes

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
come on chill out bro, don't take that serious, cuz when u have done some search on the board u'll find like hundreds of similar questions have been asked through out the year, isn't that kinda waste of room and time when u really want some infos?......

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@randolph20

can ya tell us a bit more about the "farm-bred" scolopendra's in Taiwan and China ?,.. i've been told mutilans are bred for use as medicin,
fish-food (bait ??) and also as snacks,...

reason why i ask this, is cause i've got some WC Taiwanese mutilans (caught by a Taiwanese beetle-collector) and some CB Chinese mutilans (Chinese dealer) and their behaviour is very different to my experience.
Chinese CB are quite docile,... compared to the WC Taiwanese.

Also they seem to have slightly differences in coloration,...
the Chinese CB have more clear,... bright colors,.. while the WC Taiwanese have almost brown heads and more "striped" leggs from tergite 19. :?

thanx :)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as far as i know in Taiwan the breeders who has like several thousands pedes fed them the "fruit-milk condensed powder"(and said it's the best to feed them!), sale them as Chinese Herb medicine(dry one or dry pedes powder), it was taught that they use pedes for medication among Chinese cultural area, also the pedes in alchol...but not for snacks, bro, neither fish bait(the fish might get killed or the fisher get bite....)He shown up on tv once to demonstrate how he got pedes from the wild, by digging up from the tree roots near the road banks.
yap, there are basically 4 type of multilans in my personal observation
yellow leg, re leg, stripe leg, and strip body(blk strip at every segament, brownish bronze coloured), and yap, the stripe leg one is more like brown heads...
and i've found some info of China they breed A LOT S.subspinipes, not only multilans...commual like several hundreds in a large bucket
well, as Hei from HK said, don't believe what the dealer said Farm breed, they r mostly WC.......

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
steven
is this what u r taking about

my friend Microbirds pics, collected from Ken Tin in southern Taiwan 16 cm

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
There seems to be something wrong with the Order of reply's :?

but @randolph20:
yes, that's what i was talking about :}

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there any chance that the larger morphs made their way into the U.S.? I have 2 mutilans, one with orange legs, the other with yellow. I set them up in a cage that is escape-proof IF the pedes are under 7 inches. Should I put them in a taller cage?

Karen N.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think their head were redder when they were young, get darker when they reach mature size, but i dont know about those from China..
that one is really agreesive, can hardly keep commual, but in the wild they live pretty close to their neighbour, like a foot away
ultimate:
i think red leg is bigger than orange leg than comes the yellow leg
i put mine in kritter keepers, just remember to close the lid everytime