Big mistake

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
We made an enclosure for my P. regalis - a 2.5 gallon with the cut plexi, hinges, and a hasp. My husband got thinner plexi... not a good thing at all. She finally seems comfortable in her new enclosure after being in there for about 2 weeks. I noticed that the bottom plexi isn't holding well at all against the weight of the substrate. The plexi is too thin. The top part is bowing as well in the corners. Now we have to redo the front with thicker plexi and I have no idea how we're going to do it. There's no way I'm going to be able to get that P. regalis out of there. So do we try to do it with her in there hiding behind her cork bark? *sigh* I'm screwed. :wall:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why are you not going to be able to get her out? I wouldn't try to do it with her in it. I just do not understand how you are not able to take her out.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Because the way the cork bark is in there, she goes behind it and hides. That is what I meant about not being able to get her out.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
3/16" won't warp, anything thinner and you risk what you got.

PIG-

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
3/16" won't warp, anything thinner and you risk what you got.

PIG-
Thanks, PIG. My A. avicularia's 2.5 gallon has been fine for months. This plexi is much thinner. I'm not sure of the exact size, but my husband has gone to the store to get a replacement.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could "strap" it with some thin wire run tightly around it where it is bulging to stop it from spreading. That shouldn't interfere with your ability to see the T.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because the way the cork bark is in there, she goes behind it and hides. That is what I meant about not being able to get her out.
Get some tongs and coax her into a catch cup. Unless it is impossible to get back there/take the cork bark out.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Get some tongs and coax her into a catch cup. Unless it is impossible to get back there/take the cork bark out.
Yeah, that's what we're going to have to do. I'm not looking forward to it at all. :barf: I was hoping there would be a way around that.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Places that sell plexiglass often have little "support" and "corner" pieces that could possibly be hot glued into your existing enclosure for added support. Just a thought. usplastics.com always has a nice selection of odd stuff for plexiglass/acrylic. Good luck! Di

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Ive used the 50X strength 1/8th plexi with out problems. The lowest grade is 10X. But i made a divider for a 10 gal. So there was sub on both sides. What grade stuff did you purchase?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Well, the P. regalis is now in a temporary enclosure until we get her enclosure redone. That was scary, but went well. It was much easier than I expected. Thanks for the support.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I decided, since I already made it through the getting the P. regalis into a temporary enclosure, that I would rehouse my P. irminia and A. versicolor #1. The A. versicolor was as "playful" as ever, but all went smoothly. The P. irminia was a different story.. it ended up running around my bathtub a few times, but I remained calm and once it settled down, it was easy to coax into its new home. I'm done. That's about all my heart can take for one evening. Now I'm going to climb into bed and relax knowing all is well in my little T world.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ive used the 50X strength 1/8th plexi with out problems. The lowest grade is 10X. But i made a divider for a 10 gal. So there was sub on both sides. What grade stuff did you purchase?
I use 1/8th" and have no problems at all, my temps are 85+ and humidity is 85%+. I do know if you do not have enough ventilation on it it holds to much heat/humidity and warps.