Big, big problem...

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, well I was changing out all my tarantulas substrate today. Well, I went to the bathroom with my 2" S. cal, and like always I had the vents covered and made sure there was no where to escape. However when I got it out of its enclosure it darted against the wall, and underneath the wood for the sink fixture. I have a sink that takes up pretty much half the bathroom, I didn't know there was a place underneath, I guess I didn't think of it. Well it darted under there so I pulled out the boards that held it together and I can tell where it must have escaped. I am about..70% sure that it can't escape the bathroom however the place where the S. cal resides I cannot reach. I am just guessing this is where it would be. I have dogs in the house, and I take care of my elderly grandparents. So if I have to fumigate the house I will. Anyways I placed down a plate of water, and turned the lights off and put towels underneath the door so it can't escape. Any other suggestions you guys have will be REALLY REALLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks for reading.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No one, really?
Honestly I wouldn't really worry about it;

options:

a) It will come out at oh'dark'hundred and drink from the water dish and you will have a chance to catch it then (keep the bathroom warmer than any other part of your house to encourage it to migrate there)

b) You'll find it in another part of your house

c) It dies somewhere and you never see it again.

d) Yes their bites are bad for dogs cats etc, but I think fumigating is a little rash. If you want to kill it get some spider killer spray and start in the bathroom where you think it is. then do the immediate area out side the bathroom:

around the door frame (up to the top and down to the floor)
baseboards
poweroutlets
any holes in the wall.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No one, really?
I don't know your actual location, but here in the US it is the day before Thanksgiving and the forum has been slow most of the day.

I have never lost/ had an escapee before, but the usual advice is to turn off the lights and wait. S. calceatum can pack a heck of a bite from what I understand, so I also understand your worry due to your elderly grandparents and loved mammal pets. Have you run an advanced search for ways to find lost Ts?

Do you think it can get out on the other end, not connected to the bathroom?

Also, why were changing out substrate? Did you have an infestation of some sort?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know your actual location, but here in the US it is the day before Thanksgiving and the forum has been slow most of the day.

I have never lost/ had an escapee before, but the usual advice is to turn off the lights and wait. S. calceatum can pack a heck of a bite from what I understand, so I also understand your worry due to your elderly grandparents and loved mammal pets. Have you run an advanced search for ways to find lost Ts?

Do you think it can get out on the other end, not connected to the bathroom?

Also, why were changing out substrate? Did you have an infestation of some sort?
Thanks for both of your reply's, and yeah I kind of forgot it was close to thankgiving. Uhm, I was just changing the substrate out for some other substrate I bought just because I wanted something other that Eco-earth. I don't think it got out but I could be wrong. I can take a pic of the sink area in a bit. I know, I have many old worlds and never have the problem of them escaping, it just had to be this species as well. I'm not worried about me, I mean I don't want to get bit but I know that it wont be looking to attack us, but my grandmother is pretty sick and even though there are no recorded deaths, I wouldn't want a bite on my grandmother somehow.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't want a bite on my grandmother somehow.

Then again back to the spider pesticide; just apply it in the areas she frequents most? Around the outlets and cracks in walls/floorboards and the doorways. This will provide some peace of mind I think.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't add that the likelihood of it actually finding and biting any of the things you are afraid for is pretty slim. I meant to add that in my last post and realized this has been up to edit screen forever! Decided a new post would be best. :)

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've never understood the bathroom method, what with all the cabinets, sinks, vanities, heater vents, etc for them to get lost behind. Seems like the worst place to be messing with your T's.

For moving, packing, rehousing darters and teleporters I go into the middle of a BIG uncluttered room, or better yet out to the middle of the lawn. Never, never never in a cramped bathroom...seems like the worst place ever. If I'm in the bathroom, and have to jump out of the way, I'm more likely to get hurt than the tarantula is, and the tarantula can easily become lost.

I know this doesn't help the current problem, but the point is that in the future that are better places to mess with fast T's.