BHP discovers purple fluoro frog

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hope this isn't already posted. didn't see it when i checked.

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,21859307-31037,00.html

A STUDY funded by a subsidiary of BHP Billiton in Suriname has discovered a purple fluorescent frog, one of 24 new species found in the South American highlands of the country.

The purpose of the study, also sponsored by Alcoa Inc subsidiary Suriname Aluminium Company LLC, was to provide BHP Billiton with an early indication of conservation value of prospective bauxite areas, should they get to a concept study level.

In addition to the purple frog, scientists found four other new frog species, six species of fish, 12 dung beetles and a new ant species.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes i saw that,that frog is amazing,i think it's great that they are discovering new sp. but with all of that gold mining and such who knows what other sp. are out there,and will they ever be discovered:? very interesting.

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope that makes it into the hobby... as captive bred of course.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope that makes it into the hobby... as captive bred of course.
Yeah no doubt. If I had the resources I would personally go there and capture about a dozen or so specimens and bring them back for herpetoculture. That's one neat looking frog.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow.:eek: That is surely a beautiful frog. I wonder how much they would go for if they made it into the hobby.:eek:

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, thats a stunning frog. Looks like its had a crazy 80's paintjob done on it.