Better than vials

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
So I came across what I think are the perfect little containers for slings. They have screw off lids so you're not disturbing the little guys like when snapping on and off a vial lid. I saw the whole set at Walmart for about $6.
f82af959-4452-467e-91c6-84f2bc4c16cd_1.d299d5c362579c0b7f539b4201201623.jpeg

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
They're about 1.5" in diameter and 2" tall. Just google Darice and you'll find their website. They have a lot more sizes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'll go ahead and disturb the T if I means I can pay a quarter of the price for vials :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
IMO, they aren't worth the money for the volume of space you get for a sling home. I can see these being great for H. sp. Columbia Large and Small localities.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Well for those of us that aren't housing entire sacs of slings I think they're great and they look pretty nice.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can see these being great for H. sp. Columbia Large and Small localities.

I disagree. Fast spiders can easily get their feet/legs caught in the threads when you're screwing the lid on, and H sp Colombia are fast. I would never use screw-on lids.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I disagree. Fast spiders can easily get their feet/legs caught in the threads when you're screwing the lid on, and H sp Colombia are fast. I would never use screw-on lids.
I didn't realize they were threaded. I'd pass on them too, as I have suggested to others previously.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I didn't realize they were threaded. I'd pass on them too, as I have suggested to others previously.
I don't see the problem, the thread is on the outside. Of course you would make sure the T isn't near the top when you're closing it just as you would for a snap on lid. :banghead:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Kodi, you're under the impression running tarantulas can't get their feet caught as the lid is being screwed on. Try it and see.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Kodi, you're under the impression running tarantulas can't get their feet caught as the lid is being screwed on. Try it and see.
You're under the impression running tarantulas can't get their feet caught as the lid is being snapped on a vial. With a screw on lid you have a couple of seconds to stop turning if a bolty tarantula scales the side, whereas a snap on lid is a done deal. Off with his leg if the little guy stops with his leg under the cap the millisecond you decide to snap it on. o_O

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've used several cups with screw on lids and I've not caught a T in there yet. It is a concern I think about when closing the lid just like making sure a T's leg isn't on the rim of a snap on deli cup when I go to close it. Or the Ts not in any opening I am trying to close. If it's still a big worry then as long as you don't screw it down all the way (mine have to turn 3 to 4 full times before hitting the lip on the container) you'll always have a gap that doesn't allow for a pinch point.

Like with anything else know where your Ts is and it should be ok IMO.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't see the problem, the thread is on the outside. Of course you would make sure the T isn't near the top when you're closing it just as you would for a snap on lid. :banghead:
I can't speak for others. But with the Thorton vials I use, I'm able to close the lid in non-uniform fashion. W/a screw top lid, it's an all or none deal. You can't screw only a portion down a bit at a time. So for me, I find snap-on's safer.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can't speak for others. But with the Thorton vials I use, I'm able to close the lid in non-uniform fashion. W/a screw top lid, it's an all or none deal. You can't screw only a portion down a bit at a time. So for me, I find snap-on's safer.
A difference is the screw lid only pinches if it is turned till it's tight. As far as placing it on the jar goes it's the same as a snap top lid (both can pinch at this point). If it take 4 tuns on a screw top to bottom out then that is where the pinch is. If you stop anytime before the 4th full turn then it doesn't hit the jar lip and there isn't a pinch point. When the T has moved down you can then finish tightening the screw top lid or just leave it where it is. If your worried about a lose lid then you can even add a wide rubber band to the threads on the jar part and it'll snug up without ever creating a pinch point (I might have a photo of this at home if I can find it).

Another difference is that with my snap tops I can open one side and the screw tops I have to take the whole lid off. However, that's no different than me having to open the large swinging door on the arboreal enclosure. I think a big part of the time when a tarantula loses a leg it's due to the keeper trying to use the lid/door/screen to keep the tarantula from exiting the enclosure. Then it's easy regardless of what kind of lid you was using to mash a leg. IMO you should use a catch cup to get the T as it's leaving and then put it back. When all is clear, you put on the lid.

I've used both lid type since I started with no issues.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're under the impression running tarantulas can't get their feet caught as the lid is being snapped on a vial. With a screw on lid you have a couple of seconds to stop turning if a bolty tarantula scales the side, whereas a snap on lid is a done deal. Off with his leg if the little guy stops with his leg under the cap the millisecond you decide to snap it on. o_O

Snap-on lids are flexible and I close snap them shut one side at a time, the side opposite the spider closing last, so it's as far away from it as possible. With a screw-on lid all sides close at the same rate; that makes me nervous as most of my spiders are fast and high strung. You can argue all you want, I don't care what you do, I'm not trying to convince you, I just want other people reading this thread to be aware of the pros & cons.