Better option?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
The White Plains reptile expo is in a week and I want to pick up some new T's. I want to get a male and female Euathlus sp. red. One woman will have captive bred females for 175 dollars and an unsexed juvenile for 100 dollars. The female is 9 years old though. I'll probably barter with her and offer 230. If there are other wild caught specimens there for 25-45 dollars, should I get them instead?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I bought 1 sole tarantula from the only expo I have ever been to on Halloween. It was a wc medium sized male t stirmi. I had him for about a month and got a good look at his mouth while doing maintenance---bad nematode infection. I had to look up how to put a tarantula to sleep (in the freezer) and then had to worry that my other tarantulas didn't fall ill (none did). Counting tiny slings I have 24 right now and that t stirmi is the only tarantula to die in my care. I will never buy wild caught again.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There is absolutely nothing wrong with WC. I'd take a WC spider over a CB one any day. With the rare exception, I try to breed (or send out to breed) all of my spiders eventually. WC ensures fresh blood is introduced into the hobby.

If she's selling WC reds for that much, I'd jump on it instantly.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The White Plains reptile expo is in a week and I want to pick up some new T's. I want to get a male and female Euathlus sp. red. One woman will have captive bred females for 175 dollars and an unsexed juvenile for 100 dollars. The female is 9 years old though. I'll probably barter with her and offer 230. If there are other wild caught specimens there for 25-45 dollars, should I get them instead?
I would NOT buy a E sp Red for 100$ that wasn't molt confirmed female. I'd rather buy a sling at that rate.

While we don't know their life span, I would be surprised if it was less than 15-20yr.

175 is the standard retail price now, that's no discount at all. Shows are supposed to be places where buyers can get a deal. If you can't get a deal, there's no point in going IME.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would NOT buy a E sp Red for 100$ that wasn't molt confirmed female. I'd rather buy a sling at that rate.
And on that topic, if it is indeed a juvenile and not a sling, there's no reason for it not to be sexed. I have a nearly 100% accurate rate of sexing slings larger than 1.5" when using a handheld microscope. With the right tools (and an relatively intact exuvia), sexing is far from difficult. What does that tell me? Either she got the juvenile from someone else or it is indeed sexed... as a male.

I've learned to never buy "unsexed" individuals that are more than 25% adult size. Either the dealer is lying or they haven't had it long enough for it to molt. Literally every single "unsexed" juvenile I've purchased has matured into a male.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yeah but 175 for a 9 year old tarantula? Seems pretty hefty but I guess that's the price I have to pay. She said she'd do 160. She strongly thinks the unsexed one will be female too.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
She strongly thinks the unsexed one will be female too.
Ask a car salesman if they think it's time to buy a new car.

I don't know. I guess I just expect the worst out of people, especially people who are trying to sell me something.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Ask a car salesman if they think it's time to buy a new car.

I don't know. I guess I just expect the worst out of people, especially people who are trying to sell me something.

I use to do sales, I got some horror stories. You are right to trust your gut on this.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
How about 100 dollars for a male that is not confirmed wild caught or captive bred/unknown age and a 6 year old female for 175 dollars? In total this pair is 275 dollars. Quick, let me know what you guys think!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How about 100 dollars for a male that is not confirmed wild caught or captive bred/unknown age and a 6 year old female for 175 dollars? In total this pair is 275 dollars. Quick, let me know what you guys think!
People already have :p Those are retail prices. Kind of defeats the purpose of an expo at all. I mean, you could make up that money if you breed and sell... assuming all goes as planned.

What you're willing to pay for a specimen is different than mine. How valuable is that spider to you? If it's worth the money, then go for it. I'd likely pay way more for a Chilobrachys than most people would, because they're worth more in my mind.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
You can get a young female for $175 (or less) online. Why buy one that old for the same price? I would just try to get the male from them unless they come down a lot on price to buy the pair.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
To pay 100 dollars for a tarantula that is unknown in age or unknown if it's WC or CB, I couldn't buy it. I told her to bring the young female to the expo though. Hopefully there are cheap males at the show Sunday!