Bets beginner T

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Hey all. I can't believe I am on this forum right now, I am deadly scared of spiders, but I don't have a problem holding centipedes, scorpions, or snakes. After watching a few videos of tarantulas, Ts are looking less scary. I was thinking of getting one as a pet, but I have no idea which one. I don't want any webs or any heating. It also can't be too big. Thanks guys! Also, if any of you guys used to be ex arachnophobes, how did you get over it?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Hey all. I can't believe I am on this forum right now, I am deadly scared of spiders, but I don't have a problem holding centipedes, scorpions, or snakes. After watching a few videos of tarantulas, Ts are looking less scary. I was thinking of getting one as a pet, but I have no idea which one. I don't want any webs or any heating. It also can't be too big. Thanks guys! Also, if any of you guys used to be ex arachnophobes, how did you get over it?
What are you talking about? I’ve seen you around the boards plenty.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Well, it depends on a few things. I used to be deathly afraid of spiders, but for some reason, I thought that fluffy ones were cute and wasn't afraid of them at all. I'd stick with something slow moving, docile, and easy to care for to start with. Maybe a T. albo (curly hair) would be a good first choice for you. They're easy to take care of, are relatively docile, and yet are still active enough to be interesting to watch. Other options you might consider could be G. rosea (Chilean Rose Hair) although these are more like "pet rocks" since they're so inactive, or maybe something colorful like a B. smithi (Mexican Red Knee). All of these are great first picks for beginners.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
That's for sure. SO TEMPTING right now. Gotta catch 'em all. A Pokemon-esque trading card game with tarantulas instead of Pokemon would be fantastic in my opinion.
I picked up a b.hamorrii 3 Inch + for $70 the other day. They just wanted to move it because no traffic. I was like ring me up ha. But yes, I agree about the Pokémon tarantula version.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Is it that day of the year again? :smirk:

But on topic, the sweetest and calmest Ts in my collection are A. Avicularia, but I don't often see them recommended as starters. Sure they can be fragile when kept wrong, but if you inform yourself well enough and create an appropriate setup, I WOULD recommend them over lots or terrestrials. You don't even need an Exo Terra, as one of these cheesball enclosures work out just fine. Sadly, the "inform yourself and create an appropriate setup" part seems to be the tricky thing here. That and the sad fact that most people go for shiny blue C. Versicolor slings and water them like house plants...

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Is it that day of the year again? :smirk:

But on topic, the sweetest and calmest Ts in my collection are A. Avicularia, but I don't often see them recommended as starters. Sure they can be fragile when kept wrong, but if you inform yourself well enough and create an appropriate setup, I WOULD recommend them over lots or terrestrials. You don't even need an Exo Terra, as one of these cheesball enclosures work out just fine. Sadly, the "inform yourself and create an appropriate setup" part seems to be the tricky thing here. That and the sad fact that most people go for shiny blue C. Versicolor slings and water them like house plants...
I’d perhaps agree... Having kept other inverts prior to this will help in the quality of care that can be given. There a plenty of good avic threads on here to help...

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
how are the bites on the ones mentioned? If any of them bites me, i will throw it on the ground and step on it.
What are you talking about? I’ve seen you around the boards plenty.
The tarantula section of the board. i have never even dared enter it.
Like I mentioned, I like holding snakes, centipedes, and scorpions. spiders are a no-go though.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
how are the bites on the ones mentioned? If any of them bites me, i will throw it on the ground and step on it.

The tarantula section of the board. i have never even dared enter it.
Like I mentioned, I like holding snakes, centipedes, and scorpions. spiders are a no-go though.
the two mentioned have awful bites. They are not beginner T’s. Your best bet is a T.albopilosum. It’s my and many others recommended beginner T.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
But that's exactly what makes you a perfect T owner ;). Sorry about the first line in my earlier reply... based on reactions, I thought you were a board regular (of the spider section) who opened this thread as an April Fools joke. For bigger Ts, it's not the venom that scares me, but my immediate reaction to the possible mechanical damage when the fangs hit. I guess venom-wise you could see the fangs of a T simply as scorpion stingers :). While such bites are very unlikely, especially in old world species with different forms of defense, there's a reason that handling is not recommended and frowned upon. No one can predict the reaction of a T OR the human handling it. Even with a docile T, all it takes is one short dash and they are beyond your shoulder, in a position that leaves you completely powerless. I personally do believe in the benefits of handling as a form of treatment, but only in a controlled environment with an expert. In other words: therapy. Otherwise, the safe thing is for the T to be inside the terrarium and the keeper outside. If you are interested in keeping a T, check this out and try to get a feel for what you like. There's no sense in getting a beginner T that you don't like the look of. I used to be scared of spiders and also Grammostola Pulchra, which is a T that's often recommended. To me, being all black just made it seem like a regular spider, rather than a fuzzy T :lol:

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
the two mentioned have awful bites. They are not beginner T’s. Your best bet is a T.albopilosum. It’s my and many others recommended beginner T.
ehhh no. Don't like that it's blond. I wouldn't even step on it though, because I would not want to mess up my shoe. Any other ones that are not colored like that?

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
But that's exactly what makes you a perfect T owner ;). Sorry about the first line in my earlier reply... based on reactions, I thought you were a board regular (of the spider section) who opened this thread as an April Fools joke. For bigger Ts, it's not the venom that scares me, but my immediate reaction to the possible mechanical damage when the fangs hit. I guess venom-wise you could see the fangs of a T simply as scorpion stingers :). While such bites are very unlikely, especially in old world species with different forms of defense, there's a reason that handling is not recommended and frowned upon. No one can predict the reaction of a T OR the human handling it. Even with a docile T, all it takes is one short dash and they are beyond your shoulder, in a position that leaves you completely powerless. I personally do believe in the benefits of handling as a form of treatment, but only in a controlled environment with an expert. In other words: therapy. Otherwise, the safe thing is for the T to be inside the terrarium and the keeper outside. If you are interested in keeping a T, check this out and try to get a feel for what you like. There's no sense in getting a beginner T that you don't like the look of. I used to be scared of spiders and also Grammostola Pulchra, which is a T that's often recommended. To me, being all black just made it seem like a regular spider, rather than a fuzzy T :lol:
OH ok.
For me it is the opposite: I like that it is fuzzy, and i hate the regular ones.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
ehhh no. Don't like that it's blond. I wouldn't even step on it though, because I would not want to mess up my shoe. Any other ones that are not colored like that?
A.chalcodes. Imagine having a beautiful baked potato in a cage. That’s how exciting it is. Would be perfect for you.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
A.chalcodes. Imagine having a beautiful baked potato in a cage. That’s how exciting it is. Would be perfect for you.
looks good!
I was looking at other Ts, and I found this one: Brachypelma hamorii. Do you know of it or if it is any good?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
looks good!
I was looking at other Ts, and I found this one: Brachypelma hamorii. Do you know of it or if it is any good?
I own one. And yes, a good species. Can tend to be skittish and kick hairs, but In your case, I think it would be good for you.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
what does kick hairs mean?
Some species of tarantulas have urticating hairs that they will kick off if they feel threatened. These hairs will cause a burning sensation if they come in contact with your skin. But since you don’t want to handle or really mess with your T, you won’t really have to worry about this.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't even step on it though, because I would not want to mess up my shoe.
If you are gravitating towards getting a T, I would change this mindset though. You are no stranger to keeping pets and it's definitely our responsibility to keep them safe. Getting into the hobby, I started becoming really protective of these animals, including noticing a lot more abuse on platforms like YouTube. My advice is to spend some time on this part of the forum and thoroughly inform yourself on the topic. "Fear comes from the lack of knowledge and a state of ignorance. The best remedy for fear is to gain knowledge." - Debasish Mridha