The OFFICIAL YouTube thread for tarantula care and husbandry channels

basin79

ArachnoGod
While we're on the topic of YouTube channels, here's a question for everyone:

What do you like to see?

Feeding videos? Long feeding videos or short feeding videos?

Tutorials (how to build X, care of X species, etc.)?

Do you like it when the person filming is talkative or do you just wanna get to the important tarantula business?

What makes you continue watching a video vs clicking away from it?
I'm a sucker for alsorts. I just likes what I likes.

Prodding, live feeding rodents, "bug battle" esque, risky handling, showing off etc gets a dislike and instantly turned off.

That said all the channels I sub to don't do any of the above.

The focus should be on the animal but talking on videos is a plus for me. If I don't like the voice I can simply turn the volume down. So it's a win, win as I might like it.

I'm not bothered one bit how professional or not a video is. Intro or no intro. Edits or no edits. Like I typed the animal(s) is the focus.

One massive thing for me is music. Can't stand it 99.9% of the time. I often turn it straight off instead of muting it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I'm a sucker for alsorts. I just likes what I likes.

Prodding, live feeding rodents, "bug battle" esque, risky handling, showing off etc gets a dislike and instantly turned off.
Same here.
One massive thing for me is music. Can't stand it 99.9% of the time. I often turn it straight off instead of muting it.
I'm the total opposite - I love music on videos, especially if it is done in a way that matches the "mood" of the video.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Same here.

I'm the total opposite - I love music on videos, especially if it is done in a way that matches the "mood" of the video.
There are times when the music is really complimentary. But it's rare for me. There is a video on this very thread that had music and it was brilliant. Really fit well. Most of the time though it seems the music has just been added as an afterthought. Filler.

MacDrachma

Arachnopeon
I like feeding, unpacking, and re-homing videos. Talking is preferred and music is usually not. I also like watching egg sac opening videos. I hope to start making my own here soon!

Entrepulchranhandur

Xenesthnomorphis
I really like in-depth videos about the species; tutorials; etc. Anything really, especially if the person goes in depth. I'm planning on going more in depth with my videos as far as talking about the species I show but right now it's too much for me to do, so I just do what I do.
Speaking of which, new video.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I don't like her channel, her presentation, her husbandry or her interactions with people.
I know this is old, but i agree with this 100%. Her videos are nothing but click bait and the thumbnails prove it. Is this about the spiders or you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
deadly tarantula girl is bad, but not jon3800 bad. hes the worst keeper on youtube, its like hes read a bunch of caresheets and then bought 170 tarantulas. :banghead:
dont follow any of his crappy care sheet vids folks.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
Robc Vids are outdated but pretty fun. He is in a constant state of aw when works with his T's. So I enjoy his vids.

There is another one I hesitantly recommend. Deadly Tarantula Girl. If you watch her vids in the presence of another woman, get use to the comments they will make about her or learn to tune them out. I am not sure if her vids are accurate because the voice gets to me but there is great camera work. She has a video on a h.mac that sold me on how beautiful these T's are.
It's her big bulbous silk crusted sacks I think

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
By far the worst videos I ever watched were Rob's. As much as I think he really loved his spiders, his carelessness and the fact that he advocated handling as much as he did negates any good that he brought to the hobby.
He was probably single-handedly responsible for setting the example for most of the absolute garbage found on YouTube today when it comes to careless and attention grabbing videos involving tarantulas. The best thing that happened is that guy got out of the hobby and stopped making his garbage videos.
Tom Moran is my top 'go to' guy for videos regarding specific species and their typical behaviour during maintenance and rehousing.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
By far the worst videos I ever watched were Rob's. As much as I think he really loved his spiders, his carelessness and the fact that he advocated handling as much as he did negates any good that he brought to the hobby.
He was probably single-handedly responsible for setting the example for most of the absolute garbage found on YouTube today when it comes to careless and attention grabbing videos involving tarantulas. The best thing that happened is that guy got out of the hobby and stopped making his garbage videos.
Tom Moran is my top 'go to' guy for videos regarding specific species and their typical behaviour during maintenance and rehousing.
Maybe, but he is a reason why a lot of people got into the hobby. Not myself, Ive had an interest since being a child and the wife gave me the go ahead so I ran with it. I watched a few vids of him getting excited and shouting BAM. I didn't take anything educational from it but It doesn't make me dirty for it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe, but he is a reason why a lot of people got into the hobby.
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby should not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.

Last edited:

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby shout not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.
There wouldn't be a hobby if people weren't interested

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, but we don't want people that are only interested because of the pretty colors and the idea of handling spiders. There won't be a hobby if enough people get bit and the government takes notice. Ask @Chris LXXIX how his government handled irresponsible ownership.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby shout not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.
I do agree, but like I said it creates interest, interest makes you want to think about getting a T. Then you look into it on forums like this. At no point did I say he was the arachnid universe of knowledge

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I know this is old, but i agree with this 100%. Her videos are nothing but click bait and the thumbnails prove it. Just about every one is a picture of her face in some provocative low cut tank top with too much make up and bad contact lenses. Is this about the spiders or you?
This. it bothers me that all the video thumbnails she puts up are selfies basically.

I like Tom Moran's husbandry video's and jon3800's T feeding video's. those got me into the hobby.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
And there wouldn't be bans if people didn't follow the examples set by people like Rob and get bitten. The last thing this hobby needs is bad publicity and getting bitten repeatedly by OW species, with medically significant venom, brings nothing to this hobby except bad publicity.
If enough bans are put in place, there won't be a hobby.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
And there wouldn't be bans if people didn't follow the examples set by people like Rob and get bitten. The last thing this hobby needs is bad publicity and getting bitten repeatedly by OW species, with medically significant venom, brings nothing to this hobby except bad publicity.
If enough bans are put in place, there won't be a hobby.
I'll be honest, I've seen feeding videos mainly from him and certainly not any of him being bitten. I didn't state he was a 'go to T guy'. I was merely stating that there is a buzz around his videos.