Best youtube channels?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Arachnosupporter
By far the worst videos I ever watched were Rob's. As much as I think he really loved his spiders, his carelessness and the fact that he advocated handling as much as he did negates any good that he brought to the hobby.
He was probably single-handedly responsible for setting the example for most of the absolute garbage found on YouTube today when it comes to careless and attention grabbing videos involving tarantulas. The best thing that happened is that guy got out of the hobby and stopped making his garbage videos.
Tom Moran is my top 'go to' guy for videos regarding specific species and their typical behaviour during maintenance and rehousing.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
By far the worst videos I ever watched were Rob's. As much as I think he really loved his spiders, his carelessness and the fact that he advocated handling as much as he did negates any good that he brought to the hobby.
He was probably single-handedly responsible for setting the example for most of the absolute garbage found on YouTube today when it comes to careless and attention grabbing videos involving tarantulas. The best thing that happened is that guy got out of the hobby and stopped making his garbage videos.
Tom Moran is my top 'go to' guy for videos regarding specific species and their typical behaviour during maintenance and rehousing.
Maybe, but he is a reason why a lot of people got into the hobby. Not myself, Ive had an interest since being a child and the wife gave me the go ahead so I ran with it. I watched a few vids of him getting excited and shouting BAM. I didn't take anything educational from it but It doesn't make me dirty for it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe, but he is a reason why a lot of people got into the hobby.
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby should not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.

Last edited:

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby shout not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.
There wouldn't be a hobby if people weren't interested

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, but we don't want people that are only interested because of the pretty colors and the idea of handling spiders. There won't be a hobby if enough people get bit and the government takes notice. Ask @Chris LXXIX how his government handled irresponsible ownership.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
But that's harming the hobby, not helping. Just getting people to join the hobby does not mean that it was righteous. He got people into the hobby by showing them how the hobby shout not be done. That's like someone getting people interested in cars by teaching them how to street race.
I do agree, but like I said it creates interest, interest makes you want to think about getting a T. Then you look into it on forums like this. At no point did I say he was the arachnid universe of knowledge

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
I know this is old, but i agree with this 100%. Her videos are nothing but click bait and the thumbnails prove it. Just about every one is a picture of her face in some provocative low cut tank top with too much make up and bad contact lenses. Is this about the spiders or you?
This. it bothers me that all the video thumbnails she puts up are selfies basically.

I like Tom Moran's husbandry video's and jon3800's T feeding video's. those got me into the hobby.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Arachnosupporter
And there wouldn't be bans if people didn't follow the examples set by people like Rob and get bitten. The last thing this hobby needs is bad publicity and getting bitten repeatedly by OW species, with medically significant venom, brings nothing to this hobby except bad publicity.
If enough bans are put in place, there won't be a hobby.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
And there wouldn't be bans if people didn't follow the examples set by people like Rob and get bitten. The last thing this hobby needs is bad publicity and getting bitten repeatedly by OW species, with medically significant venom, brings nothing to this hobby except bad publicity.
If enough bans are put in place, there won't be a hobby.
I'll be honest, I've seen feeding videos mainly from him and certainly not any of him being bitten. I didn't state he was a 'go to T guy'. I was merely stating that there is a buzz around his videos.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Arachnosupporter
Most of his videos have gotten less than 50,000 views at the peak of his popularity. A handful got a few hundred thousand. The ones where he is doing everything possible to save his tarantula from a bad moult got nearly 2 million.
In comparison, his video of his wife handling their T.blondi has gotten nearly 8 million views.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I'm essentially just excited about a new T and want to overdose on T stuff... But quality T stuff
This is kinda my goal, to produce quality videos, some with educational value but more orientated on providing entertainment. I was focused only on tarantulas but now I'm mixing it up with other exotic animals.
Take a look and let me know what you think, I am really curious. just don't comment my English, I know that it's bad :D (link in my signature)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ask @Chris LXXIX how his government handled irresponsible ownership.
Wish that (handling, bites, escapes) my man, at least for have a decent valid excuse to sell. They banned ownership, instead, out of fear and crappy issues about venom that not even in the worst care sheet :-s

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Why do we need YouTube videos for care and husbandry? What is wrong with over a decade worth of the searchable archive here?

BAM!!!! ;)