Best Way to unburrow Cobalt Blue ??

8legsmissouri

Arachnopeon
My H Lividum has been burrowed for 4 months, I would like to rehome him and clean the enclosure. Question, what are methods for getting them out of the burrow, I have thought of "Flooding: the burrow, for removal, but open to any other ideas. Thanks for your thoughts

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dig, if you dont see a happy T awaiting love and cuddles, dig farther

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Haven't tried it, but I've heard people suggest pouring water down the burrow to flood it out

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just dig.

Why do you need to clean it? Or do you just mean clean the old enclosure since you're moving it to a new one? :?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Dig, if you dont see a happy T awaiting love and cuddles, dig farther
See I don't think that even if he does find the T., the love and cuddles thing just isn't going to happen.

I agree though. Digging it out is really your best option.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Table spoon is your friend and some paint brushes they will help you evict a T, dont be suprised if its extremely pissed off and wants to eat your face!;P

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
extremely pissed off and wants to eat your face!
This particular thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion as I contemplate how I'm going to rehouse my 3 H. lividum slings when they outgrow their current vials...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tablespoon isn't long enough. Pick something longer, like an iced tea spoon or something similar.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I gotta say rehousing haplo's and the more aggressive burrowers is pretty intresting lol. Although they are always angry so its kinda fun in that way but I would rather not get bitten lol by any of my burrowers :)

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
i rehomes mine not too long ago a table spoon and some tongs
just follow the web tube to the bottom
i found mine trying to hide lol
next it was hissing at me

8legsmissouri

Arachnopeon
I gotta say, I might cool her down, of all the H Lividums I have (3) She is the fiesties one I have, Will try A combination, Problem is, that her water dish is buried, and she made a burrow right underneath it, I got to be really careful, Tomorrow is the day....

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that was just joking around...basically the H. lividums are the OBT's of the Haplopelma world...and you know how OBT's are famous for wanting you to touch them....and yes, not a spoon definitely something longer, especially if she decides to jump...mine when i got her jumped 3 feet past my gf's head...

See I don't think that even if he does find the T., the love and cuddles thing just isn't going to happen.

I agree though. Digging it out is really your best option.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is my strategy for H Maculatas. While they are smaller than Cobalts, they are a bit faster.

Best method:
1. Get a container that is bigger than the current one
2. Put the current container inside the bigger one and let the T come out on its own.

Less desirable method:
1. Put new container in your bathtub (make sure it is dry) all ready to go.
2. Grab 2 long wooden spoons or a pair of chopsticks, and a pair of needlenose pliers.
3. Remove the top of the old enclosure.
4. Dig with the spoon if needbe, but be careful not to hurt the T.
5. Try your best to coax the tarantula into the new container.
6. If the T grabs your spoon or chop stick, lightly set it down before the T is on your arm.
a) Get the other spoon and try to coax the tarantula onto the container lid
b) Pick the lid up with needlenose pliers and go to step 5.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rehousing Haplopelma is only hard if you make it hard. Get a large bucket, or other container, hold the tank facing down into the bucket and shake until the substrate and spider fall out into the bucket. Then put a cricket tub over the spider and secure the lid.

Takes about 20 seconds.

creepa

Arachnoknight
Rehousing Haplopelma is only hard if you make it hard. Get a large bucket, or other container, hold the tank facing down into the bucket and shake until the substrate and spider fall out into the bucket. Then put a cricket tub over the spider and secure the lid.

Takes about 20 seconds.
+ 1:cool:

This is also the method i used for my Hysterocrates sp. and Pelinobius muticus.
I was done in 1 minute rehousing the two spiders:D

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
seems like a good idea, but also seems too unsafe....what happens if you drop the tank in on the T, or knock the bucket over, or the T bolts up the side of the bucket and is in your face or across the room?

Takes about 20 seconds.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When i rehoused mine, I used a sweater box(didn't want dirt on my floor). Took the old enclosure and laid it down inside the sweater box. Used my tongs to remove the dirt until I could coax the T out. Then I coaxed the T onto my hand, placed my hand into its new enclosure and last I coaxed it off my hand. Took all of about 5 minutes and here is a picture of her new enclosure(which is much better looking than the 1 gallon jar she was in before IMHO).

Art

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
seems like a good idea, but also seems too unsafe....what happens if you drop the tank in on the T, or knock the bucket over, or the T bolts up the side of the bucket and is in your face or across the room?
If you drop the tank I'd wonder why you were so clumsy when dealing with a live animal. Same goes for knocking over the bucket.
If the T bolts (and they don't in that situation) then you catch it.