Best way to stun/kill feeder rats?

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Mushroom Spore, there is definitely something else wrong here.

Geeze, people! I am so lost in the 15 or so different debates posted here that I don't even know which way is up.
TBH

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was actually funny, but no, no I do not microwave them. I use warm/hot/room temp water and have tried every temp from 70 degrees Farenheit to 99 degrees Farenheit. Well, ok not every temp, I went with intervals of 5 until I got to 85, then intervals of 2. I have ordered from all the big name online dealers. Rodent Pro, Rodent Gourmet, you name it. Like I said, I probably spent over $500 on feeders that never worked. Nevermind the 3 temp probes.
-Ally
All I can say is that I used hot water, usually it took over 20-30 minutes. After removing from the water I left them out for another 10 minutes and then checked to see if they were cool/cold to the touch. As in my earlier post, there are several causes for chronic regurge problems, many of which are very contagious and can decimate a collection. I hope you find a solution that satisfies you, good luck.
Rev

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I don't use any vertebrates for feeders, but I can point you guys out to a news story that shows how NOT to do it.
Wow. Sure makes us look good! We are now a bunch of sadists who enjoy killing mice and rabbits for our monsters(well, I don't keep any reptiles or feed mice out, but animal hobbies are all together).

eL Tre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
...I don't think I could get used to whacking mammals on a wall multiple times a week. I have respect for you snake guys...

Hahah this made me laugh, i dont think i could handle that either... or anyone else i live with for that matter :D

but hey whatever it takes to keep your critters scratch free!

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I know that this thread has been done for a few days, but my roomates and myself have a pretty simple way to kill our feeders that has worked every time. Get a heavy duty trash bag (the outdoor type) and drop said rat into the bag. Twist it around once or twice. Hold the bag over your shoulder. Swing it over your shoulder hard so that the rat hits the floor (preferably not carpeted flooring). Remove dead rat. This has worked every time for my roommates and myself.

again, sorry to revive this thread, but nobody had mentioned this and it's pretty fail safe.

bigtyler1025

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dark abyss, I understand your concern, but if the snake was killing the rat by itself, it is suffocating the rat anyway. It seems to be about the same to me. Do you keep snakes at all?

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dark abyss, I understand your concern, but if the snake was killing the rat by itself, it is suffocating the rat anyway. It seems to be about the same to me. Do you keep snakes at all?
yes I do and I PK humanly with a smack on the wall

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm.
Ok, I'll breathe in some CO2 and judge if it's inhumane.
I'll smash your head on the wall and you can judge if it's inhumane.
If one is inhumane, then the other one is inhumane aswell, and vice versa.

kingfarvito

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm.
Ok, I'll breathe in some CO2 and judge if it's inhumane.
I'll smash your head on the wall and you can judge if it's inhumane.
If one is inhumane, then the other one is inhumane aswell, and vice versa.
ricky thats a <bad> argument and you know it and if im going ot die regardless I'd want it to be fast

Last edited by a moderator:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thank you for correcting me :)

and im not trying to get people to poison themselves I'm saying if you go take a breath of CO2 you'll realize that its a cruel way to kill feeders.I wonder how many of the American Veterinary Medical Association have tried breathing CO2? the experience is simalar to drowning
Have YOU tried breathing CO2? Just my .02

Edit: Reading on, I have found that you apparently have...Why? It's like a man sniffing something they know is going to smell horrible (like their own farts). No offense men.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
All of you that think CO2 is humane go put some vinegar and baking soda in a bottle and breath the gas or shake up a half full soda bottle and then breath from it. CO (carbon monoxide) is the gas that makes you fall asleep it gets absorbed the same as oxygen while CO2 (carbon dioxide) gives an effect simalar to drowning
I am sure someone has said this by now, but do you know what you are talking about? CO2 is NOT the same as drowning, at all, and it VERY humane. Drowning is very traumatic, as you no longer have air to breath and have to fight both your breathing reflex and you survival reflex. While I have never drowned myself, I think it would also be painful to eventually inhale a load of water, since it is much thicker than air. Lungs are not meant to move something as heavy and viscous as wateraround, and so it would be a lot of strain on them in the few moments before whatever you are drowning dies. Also, ever try to hold your breath underwater? You start feeling reflexive convulsions, and it is not fun.

On the other hand, when you inhale CO2, there is NO pain at all. You feel like you are breathing normally, because you ARE breathing normally. You just are not getting the oxygen your body needs. As your brain gets less and less oxygen, it will feel like you are getting very tired and you will eventually "fall asleep", for good. No pain, no liquids flooding the lungs, just falling asleep. If thats not humane, then maybe you need to try it yourself and tell us how horrible it is.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And with the CO2 chambers the gas is slowly added not suddenly so as to KO the rodents first.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well, i've been feeding either live, or f/t, so i haven't had to worry about this. My newest addition had been fed live, so i decided to stick with it, and offered her a live mouse today. She wrapped it, but not strong enough. The mouse was still alive and kicking after a minute or two, so i had to take it away and kill it for her... I felt awful doing it, but I knew my snake needed to eat (she was nearly starved at her old home), and couldn't let her get hurt. I dropped the mouse in a pillowcase and gave it a good thump on the wall. It was really quick, which was good. There was no suffering. Its not something I'd like to do again anytime soon, though...

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd reccomend washing the pillow case before putting it back on the pillow.

They tend to pee when they die, Just lookin out;)