Best way to move T's in a car?

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
First post here, but I've been lurking for a while... So hi!

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to move T's across the country (note that I'm not actually planning on moving soon, but I'm one to plan things far in advance--like a year in advance). It would be simplest to bring them in the car with me, and I keep reptiles that I'd be bringing with me as well.

Of course I'd need to make sure they were in a temperature controlled environment and not bouncing around... It would most likely be a 2 day drive (New York to Louisiana), and likely during the spring/summer. What's the best way to make sure all my arachnobabies are safe?

Note: There are adult T's and slings in question here (all NW species).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Remove from enclosures and place in tubs to fit just the Ts. Place tubs in big RUBs (depending how many specimen) with loads of packing peanuts to reduce movementsUse cool/heat packs if required when stopping for rest.

Last edited:

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
Remove from enclosures and pace in tubs to fit just the Ts. Place tubs in big RUBs (depending how many specimen) with loads of packing peanuts to reduce movementsUse cool/heat packs if required when stopping for rest.
Thank you! If there are no tubs available that fit the T's exactly, should I just package them like you might do for shipping (e.g. deli cups/tupperware and surrounded by paper towel/tissue)? and would straws/vials be alright for slings?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thank you! If there are no tubs available that fit the T's exactly, should I just package them like you might do for shipping (e.g. deli cups/tupperware and surrounded by paper towel/tissue)? and would straws/vials be alright for slings?
Yes. Thats the way to go. Padded and cushioned nicely :)

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Probably just the same as a breeder prepares them to ship in a truck, but it depends how long they will be in there, if anything the variable here will be providing sufficient water in a longer transit, in addition to heat uhh, whatever they're called, heat pockets.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Good point. America is large. Therefore, calculate journey time. You do not want a T going without water for too long

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
Probably just the same as a breeder prepares them to ship in a truck, but it depends how long they will be in there, if anything the variable here will be providing sufficient water in a longer transit, in addition to heat uhh, whatever they're called, heat pockets.
Good point. America is large. Therefore, calculate journey time. You do not want a T going without water for too long
Calculated travel time is 23 hours, which means they would have to be packed for a 2 day journey. Dehydration has been worrying me... But I figure that at least for the adults, they should be fine for that period of time as long as they don't overheat. Unfortunately shipping them to anyone at my destination is a no-go, as I have no one who would be willing to receive/competent in unpacking them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Calculated travel time is 23 hours, which means they would have to be packed for a 2 day journey. Dehydration has been worrying me... But I figure that at least for the adults, they should be fine for that period of time as long as they don't overheat. Unfortunately shipping them to anyone at my destination is a no-go, as I have no one who would be willing to receive/competent in unpacking them.
They will be fine. Just make sure leading up to journey that well fed

Walker253

Arachnobaron
2 day trip, you they should just stay in their feeding and watering routine. Even with no water for 2 days isn't the end of the world. Overheating is your (and their) worst enemy. If you go to a motel at night, and they are packed where they can go easily, take them inside. Morning sun can heat a car up awfully fast.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
should I just package them like you might do for shipping
Yep, just like you are shipping them.
which means they would have to be packed for a 2 day journey. Dehydration has been worrying me
2 days is nothing, even for small slings. Plus you have the advantage of controlling their temp during the drive (assuming you have air conditioning), so its not like they will be in a hot truck, or being bounced around all day...so you shouldn't need any cool packs. Just make sure they're packed in damp paper towels. Dehydration shouldn't be a concern if theyre packed properly.

Slings can be packed in vials or pill container and adults can be packed in heavy 32oz deli cups (I use ones from yogurt).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Just follow the advices given here and nothing will happens, except for a scenario like this I mean :angelic:

at 0:42 snakes and T's :-s

:troll:

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone! This has all been very helpful.

Plus... now that I know I can move them alright, I feel more comfortable getting more T's! :) Just in time for the expo this weekend.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks everyone! This has all been very helpful.

Plus... now that I know I can move them alright, I feel more comfortable getting more T's! :) Just in time for the expo this weekend.
If you have packing questions, just ask.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First post here, but I've been lurking for a while... So hi!

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to move T's across the country (note that I'm not actually planning on moving soon, but I'm one to plan things far in advance--like a year in advance). It would be simplest to bring them in the car with me, and I keep reptiles that I'd be bringing with me as well.

Of course I'd need to make sure they were in a temperature controlled environment and not bouncing around... It would most likely be a 2 day drive (New York to Louisiana), and likely during the spring/summer. What's the best way to make sure all my arachnobabies are safe?

Note: There are adult T's and slings in question here (all NW species).
I've done a route similar to that in the summer and in hotter places too. The key is to keep them insulated and protected from sun. In some places, it may mean not leaving them in the car, taking them with you into the hotel as I always did for such trips. Also, I would keep right by the A/C, and not any higher, esp if they aren't insulated very well.

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
If you have packing questions, just ask.
Will do!
I've done a route similar to that in the summer and in hotter places too. The key is to keep them insulated and protected from sun. In some places, it may mean not leaving them in the car, taking them with you into the hotel as I always did for such trips. Also, I would keep right by the A/C, and not any higher, esp if they aren't insulated very well.
Yeah, I would definitely bring them in with me. I'd much rather sneak animals into a hotel/motel discreetly than leave them in the car.

I do have A/C, and I could pick up some of those car window shades to reduce heat if it's insanely hot.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Will do!

Yeah, I would definitely bring them in with me. I'd much rather sneak animals into a hotel/motel discreetly than leave them in the car.

I do have A/C, and I could pick up some of those car window shades to reduce heat if it's insanely hot.
You will need car shades even if the temps are 75. If you leave them in the car, in some places, by late morning you'd have a dead T.