Best Trapdoor Spider?

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
My boyfriend has entertained the idea of owning a trapdoor spider and I'm considering surprising him with one for his birthday. Not for sure going to get one but just messing around with the idea. Do people on here have a preferred one? Are there certain ones that are more visible/active than others? Would love to hear people's ideas on these guys

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I think the african grey and red and certain chinese species are the most commonly available, i suppose whatever you get find really. Make sure it's nothing lethal. As far as visibility good luck they pretty much won't ever be seen.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
I would just pick something from the classifieds because it is VERY hard to find them locally from my experience. I can’t name a single trapdoor that has venom worse than a typical old world T. Anyway as @Scp682 said you would be lucky to ever get a look at the spider once the door is built. Good luck 😀

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just buy an empty tank, fill it with dirt, label it with the name of your spider of choice, and stick a bow on it.

Nobody will ever know the difference.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Liphistus sp are pretty unique but you're barely gonna see them unless you have a slow mo camera

basin79

ArachnoGod
I own 3 Liphistius sp and they're absolutely phenomenal spiders. Yes 99.9999999999% you won't see them but when they feed it's unreal. Usually it's blink and you'll miss it but slings tend to come right out.

This is my Liphistius cf ornatus. Bought as a tiny sling back in May 2018.

Real-time
View attachment IMG_1796.MP4

1/8th speed
View attachment IMG_1798.MP4

I also have a Liphistius yangae sling and a Liphistius sp Khao Luang sling that arrived as tiny slings last July.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I own 3 Liphistius sp and they're absolutely phenomenal spiders. Yes 99.9999999999% you won't see them but when they feed it's unreal. Usually it's blink and you'll miss it but slings tend to come right out.

This is my Liphistius cf ornatus. Bought as a tiny sling back in May 2018.

Real-time
View attachment 377294

1/8th speed
View attachment 377295

I also have a Liphistius yangae sling and a Liphistius sp Khao Luang sling that arrived as tiny slings last July.
These posts on instagram are the reason i still have the app😂

Scp682

Arachnoknight
I would just pick something from the classifieds because it is VERY hard to find them locally from my experience. I can’t name a single trapdoor that has venom worse than a typical old world T. Anyway as @Scp682 said you would be lucky to ever get a look at the spider once the door is built. Good luck 😀
sorry to hijack, I just want to add that unlike ts there have been confirmed deaths from trapdoors (only in australia I think). I wouldn't worry about it since there's not much chance of getting bitten but you should just know some species have a nasty bite.

Conor10

Arachnoknight
sorry to hijack, I just want to add that unlike ts there have been confirmed deaths from trapdoors (only in australia I think). I wouldn't worry about it since there's not much chance of getting bitten but you should just know some species have a nasty bite.
Yes, I did a little pokeing around and it turns out your right, the australian species have a rather bad venom. No worries on the “hijacking” lol

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
. I can’t name a single trapdoor that has venom worse than a typical old world T.
Basically every Australian Mygalomorph that has bitten someone and isn't a funnelweb, curtain web or tarantula (and there are HUNDREDS) has mild venom. Since some of the main families here such as Idiopidae can also be found abroad, I can bet there's quite alot accessible to overseas buyers without any significant potency

Last edited: