best temporary substrate??

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what is the best temporary substrate to use that is inexpensive and effective and available in SMALL quantities??
i have peatmoss and vermiculite at home (im working out of town for a few weeks) and they are only available in LARGE quantities and i already have them so...please...other than verm or peat?? only temporary for rose hair i bought today....:?

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
For very temporary set-ups, I think damp paper towel is hard to beat.

Joy

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im talking for about 3 or 4 more weeks....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
If you're really ot wanting to spend money on substrate, you could always go for plain out outside dirt. If, that is you beleive you're in a pesticide free area. As far as bacteria and residents in the soil go, I'm told moistening it and nuking it for a minute or two will take care of that problem. I also think many a Rose hair lives a long time in white plastic deli cups in transit from Chile or wherever they pick them up at, to the time they wind up in a pet store. The one I bought from a pet shop was still in the cup, inside a display tank. Go with the moist paper towel, all else failing, but Rose hairs are generally tough.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can get a 30lb sack of vermiculite for less than $15 at a feed store. You can get a 50 cubic foot bale of peat for about the same. How much cheaper could you possibly want your substrate?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its not the cheap part.......i already bought like almost 3 cubic feet of peat and i got a bushel sized bag of vermiculite at home.........more than i need for a while so i dont wanna buy any more......
anyway....my brother gave me a small (8 dry quarts - 8.8L)...of vermiculite...so i will go pick me up a pet pal or kritter keeper tomorrow and fill it with verm....