Best starter T??

urbitchtina

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I'm sorta new here & new to being a tarantula hobbyist but my oldest daughter (9 years old) has decided she wants a
Grammostola rosea.

Can anyone recommend any other great starter T's and reputable breeders?

Thank You!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi guys! I'm sorta new here & new to being a tarantula hobbyist but my oldest daughter (9 years old) has decided she wants a
Grammostola rosea.

Can anyone recommend any other great starter T's and reputable breeders?

Thank You!
G.rosea aren't great beginner species, although hardy many are prone to defensive behavior, individuals do vary.

For your daughters first tarantula I would recommend either G.pulchripes, B.albopilosum or B.hamorii(formerly smithi). They are very easy to care for and forgiving to husbandry errors. They are also typically less defensive and make for a great starter T.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The two that are nearly perfect starter Ts:

Brachypelma albopilosum
Grammostola pulchripes

They are cheap, abundant, attractive, hardy, and tend to be on the docile side. They also don't usually go on long hunger strikes the way G. rosea does.

I'll also throw in a third one that isn't talked about enough: Aphonopelma chalcodes. They are a little more skittish than the other two species from most accounts, but not defensive. They just run away quickly if you disturb them. You can get a young adult female for $40-$50, making them one of the cheapest Ts to buy as an adult. They are VERY slow growers, and are also very long-lived.

Some reputable breeders:

http://www.net-bug.net/apps/webstore/products/category/629520

http://jrsinverts.com/category/new-world-slings/

http://www.swiftinverts.com/

https://fearnottarantulas.com/product-category/spiderlings/

You can also buy from other arachnoboards members here: http://arachnoboards.com/forums/for-sale-trade-want-to-buy.24/

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Don't get a Rose Hair unless you want probably the worst starter tarantula. There are dozens of others that have better colors (gray :vomit:), better tenperament, better appetite, better growth rates, etc. My first was a Grammostola pulchripes.
Brachypelma: albopilosum, hamorii, smithi, vagans.
Grammostola: pulchripes, pulchra, iheringi.
Aphonopelma: hentzi, chalcodes, seemani.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Don't get a Rose Hair unless you want probably the worst starter tarantula. There are dozens of others that have better colors (gray :vomit:)
I think the red color form of G. rosea is very appealing, and I plan on snagging one eventually.

It is not one I would recommend for people to start with for the reasons you listed, though.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I love B. albopilosum. I bought mine as a juvie from my local exotic pet store, and I thought she wasn't going to end up being one of my favorites. However, she has beautiful golden/bronze patterns on the carapace and eats like no tommorow. Even in heavy premolt, she is eating like a champ. Pretty active too, for a Brachy ;) Waay cheap too, and with a decent growth rate you could start out with a small juvie or even a sling if you are up to it. Really would recommend Aphonopelma chalcodes too, beautiful colors are way cheap too. Haven't owned one, but I am on the lookout :watchingyou:

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I love B. albopilosum. I bought mine as a juvie from my local exotic pet store, and I thought she wasn't going to end up being one of my favorites. However, she has beautiful golden/bronze patterns on the carapace and eats like no tommorow. Even in heavy premolt, she is eating like a champ. Pretty active too, for a Brachy ;) Waay cheap too, and with a decent growth rate you could start out with a small juvie or even a sling of you are up to it. Really would recommend Aphonopelma chalcodes too, beautiful colors are way cheap too. Haven't owned one, but I am on the lookout :watchingyou:
About that, if you want an Aphonopelma, you should get a fully grown adult. They can take over a decade to gain any sort of size at all. There's a guy on AB who had one take seven and a half years to reach 2.5 inches. Another guy has one that's 1.5 inches and he's had it for almost four years.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
About that, if you want an Aphonopelma, you should get a fully grown adult. They can take over a decade to gain any sort of size at all. There's a guy on AB who had one take seven and a half years to reach 2.5 inches. Another guy has one that's 1.5 inches and he's had it for almost four years.
Oh yeah, for sure. I'm not even sure if I will be keeping T's in a decade! As long as you live in North America though, they are super cheap as adults :D Wish they were like albobilosum
For sure! Good thing they are cheap in the Americas :D That is still crazy thouh, to even have a T for that long and still have a plain looking sling/young juvie. A shame really, they look so great as adults. I fell bad for the people who must raise them (if they are CBB) ;)

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
There are a lot of Ts that are suited for beginners. You should find a T that you really like for looks/behavior and then just do your research. But in general new world terrestrials are always a good place to start. A lot of people suggested B. albopilosum but in general I would say all of the Brachypelmas are suited for a beginner and some like B. hamorii (smithi) B. emilia or B. boehmei have some very nice colors. You will also find a ton of information on all beginner species on here. First T I ever bought was an adult female Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens and it gave me nothing but joy in the almost 5 years I had it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Oh yeah, for sure. I'm not even sure if I will be keeping T's in a decade! As long as you live in North America though, they are super cheap as adults :D Wish they were like albobilosum

For sure! Good thing they are cheap in the Americas :D That is still crazy thouh, to even have a T for that long and still have a plain looking sling/young juvie. A shame really, they look so great as adults. I fell bad for the people who must raise them (if they are CBB) ;)
I was talking to the OP with that reply. Also I think you replied twice by mistake,you typed different stuff

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
The rosehair is a perfectly fine starter tarantula. I have two that eat and are as active as most of my collection. I have about 25 t's in my collection, but still love my two rosies.