Best starter Old World Tarantula for a beginner in the trade?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
And without a foundation of working their way up, they don't know what they're getting into. 'Online research' is no substitute for experience. That's laughable.
Or you start by being extremely careful and expecting the worst with all of your actions and learn by watching how it act and react. The foundation is your first, calmer T, it's not nothing.

Does this seem to be just the least bit egotistical to you? So you can teach someone to swim over the phone?
I don't see what I'm supposed to teach here, I'm just telling a fact. Having those two qualities will make your life much easier with OW than people who don't have them. It's like saying a banana is yellow.
They know how they are, I don't.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have used the ladder system and really like it. There are many tarantulas of each 'level' to pick from. Started with slow NW terrestrials, then speedier NW terrestrials like GBB and H. incei, next I got a Ceratogyrus then got Avics, then a Psalmopoeus, then finally OW arboreals.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's like saying a banana is yellow. They know how they are, I don't.
Guard: Are you suggesting bananas migrate?

Arthur: Not at all, they could be carried.

Guard: What? A swallow carrying a banana?

Arthur: It could grab it by the peel.

Guard: It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratios. A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound banana.

Arthur: Well it doesn't matter. Go and tell your master...

Guard: Listen, in order to maintain air speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat it's wings 43 times every second, right?

Arthur: Please!

Guard 2: It could be carried by an African swallow!

Guard: Oh yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.

Guard 2: oh yeah, I agree with that.

Guard: But then, African swallows are non-migratory.

Guard 2: Wait a minute. Supposing two swallows carried it together?

Guard: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So you can teach someone to swim over the phone?
Okay, I probably agree with you anyway, so this may come off like I am arguing against what appears to be a fair point...

But it always amazes me people apparently can learn to make meth and build bombs from the internet.
I think a person with enough interest in something can apparently figure it out with less experience or assistance than one might otherwise expect.

(nah, don't flame me, yours was a fair point)

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 09:38 PM ----------

I have used the ladder system and really like it.
Yeah, I didn't know about the ladder system. My first post was where I pulled my hamstring trying to skip a few rungs....

I can honestly say I am enjoying my NWs and only looking into NWs for now.
Maybe in a year or two I can say the same for OWs.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Okay, I probably agree with you anyway, so this may come off like I am arguing against what appears to be a fair point...

But it always amazes me people apparently can learn to make meth and build bombs from the internet.
I think a person with enough interest in something can apparently figure it out with less experience or assistance than one might otherwise expect.

(nah, don't flame me, yours was a fair point)

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 09:38 PM ----------

Yeah, I didn't know about the ladder system. My first post was where I pulled my hamstring trying to skip a few rungs....

I can honestly say I am enjoying my NWs and only looking into NWs for now.
Maybe in a year or two I can say the same for OWs.
Yes but a bomb is not going to get up and take off if you scare it. Yes meth labs and poorly made bombs can explode but they are not living creatures with little brains and big fangs. Though really the spider that was chosen is one of the best in this case of scenario where the person is hellbent on an OW no matter what anyone says.

cold blood

Staff member
The idea of "working up a ladder" of species is silly because it involves purchasing a bunch of animals that you don't necessarily want before getting the one you DO want. I don't think thats the mentality that one should have when getting animals as pets. Though its definitely good to get some experience before getting something with a crazy temperament, this does not necessarily mean you have to buy a ton of extras.
I just don't get this...There are so many of great species, is your view of what you like that incredibly limited? Most with big collections, even of primarily OW, still enjoy many beginner t's. I see your "silliness" as a pure advantage, you get ones you may not have considered, only to find out they are pretty darn cool afterall. There's been several I got that I didn't really want, B. smithi and G. pulchripes immediately come to mind...yet despite the fact that I wasn't exactly all excited about getting them, both have become favorites.

If you really love t's, you're probably unlikely to just dislike and ignore the t until it dies.

There was a thread not too long ago about t's you regret buying, very, very few had any regrets, even with mundane t's like rosea.

Stepping stones, so to speak, are everywhere and simply logical.

Would you give your 16 year old son a Dodge challenger hellcat because he wants to learn to drive fast...or would a used civic si be a more logical first step on the ladder?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
'OBT's for beginners' is such bad advice it's not going to go unchallenged.
I agree its important to inform newcomers of the risks... I was just makeing a funny... Sorry I will go kneel on broomsticks and self flagellate for my insolence..[Yawns out a]Lols...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Yes meth labs and poorly made bombs can explode but they are not living creatures with little brains and big fangs.
My point was how scary it is what a very determined person can accomplish with very little experience or guidance.
That said, upon reflection of your post, I now conclude I am far more afraid of bombs and meth labs than OWs.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Would you give your 16 year old son a Dodge challenger hellcat because he wants to learn to drive fast...or would a used civic si be a more logical first step on the ladder?
If he wants to drive fast, that's a terrible reason and proves he's not responsible enough, but why not if he's a careful driver and a responsible person? It won't be much different from a civic if he's careful with his driving and follow the speed limit.

The point is exactly this, not all people act the same way in different situations like not all teenagers would drive insanely fast even if they had a car that could.

cold blood

Staff member
If he wants to drive fast, that's a terrible reason and proves he's not responsible enough, but why not if he's a careful driver and a responsible person? It won't be much different from a civic if he's careful with his driving and follow the speed limit.

The point is exactly this, not all people act the same way in different situations like not all teenagers would drive insanely fast even if they had a car that could.
LMAO, I wouldn't trust the most responsible teenager on the planet with a hellcat...to do so would just be irresponsible...they may be the easiest car on the planet to get away from their driver. For all but the most experienced drivers, they are an accident waiting to happen. The first one bought in CO was crashed on the way home from the dealership by an older adult.

By "wanting to go fast", I meant had aspirations of racing.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I have used the ladder system and really like it. There are many tarantulas of each 'level' to pick from. Started with slow NW terrestrials, then speedier NW terrestrials like GBB and H. incei, next I got a Ceratogyrus then got Avics, then a Psalmopoeus, then finally OW arboreals.
Most people do enjoy the ladder system. It's fulfilling, tackling challenges at a paced rate. Taking the time to learn one thing and focusing on it instead of five things at once. It doesn't make you a better keeper to be able to juggle it all right away. Anyone who is truly intent on learning rather than tallying notches in the proverbial belt will take their time. They'll be thorough, rather than rushing. And when you make that next step to something more advanced, you feel rewarded. Because you waited. Patience isn't easy, and to resist for the sake of yourself and the tarantulas is important. I just got my first OWs and I feel so satisfied because I know how much work I put into being ready. I think back to how I admired pokies and their looks and dreaming of 'some day'.

When 'some day' comes, the sense of self-pride and accomplishment is wonderful. The problem is with how many hobbyists lack the self discipline to wait for what they want.

Take your time, stop to smell the sphagnum moss!

Also, yeesh. Getting PM'd sarcastic things because I spoke my mind. Some people.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
View attachment 134821

Its easy to see where this thread is headed
LMAO thank you 14. Really, I can't remember ever experiencing such rude, condescending and audacious behavior before. Even within the confines of the places where I used to work. Oh well, one must remember it is all said, or mostly all said, with good intentions at heart. Water off a ducks back :)

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
So you're a beginner with an ego and decide to get an advanced species...Great. Why would you want a species that fits your skill/experience level? That's for old ladies. All those 'boring' beautiful docile species, and you with all that testosterone to flaunt. I get it. That's why they let student drivers race for NASCAR. Learn as you go. Mind over matter. Mind over reality.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

And without a foundation of working their way up, they don't know what they're getting into. 'Online research' is no substitute for experience. That's laughable.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

Does this seem to be just the least bit egotistical to you? So you can teach someone to swim over the phone?
You can get experience with animals without buying them. Check them out at the LPS, other people's animals, at the expos, every vendor I have ever met was fine with people handling animals they were selling. Eventually you are gonna have to jump in the deep end either way. My friend got an OBT as his first tarantula, and sure it was a bit of an eye-opening experience for him, but it wasn't anything he couldn't quickly learn and adapt to.

Also thanks to YouTube, its easy to look up videos of the species you are interested in and see how other peoples' act, and how others are taking care of them and dealing with them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
LMAO thank you 14. Really, I can't remember ever experiencing such rude, condescending and audacious behavior before. Even within the confines of the places where I used to work. Oh well, one must remember it is all said, or mostly all said, with good intentions at heart. Water off a ducks back :)
Welcome to the boards Lol! We will beat each other down but we're also the first ones to pick each other up!

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 11:18 PM ----------

You can get experience with animals without buying them. Check them out at the LPS, other people's animals, at the expos, every vendor I have ever met was fine with people handling animals they were selling. Eventually you are gonna have to jump in the deep end either way. My friend got an OBT as his first tarantula, and sure it was a bit of an eye-opening experience for him, but it wasn't anything he couldn't quickly learn and adapt to.

Also thanks to YouTube, its easy to look up videos of the species you are interested in and see how other peoples' act, and how others are taking care of them and dealing with them.
I don't completely disagree with you but its my experience that your buddy is the exception to the rule, not the status quo... My buddy got an obt early on and when it escaped he tried killing it with a towel because he was scared of it...
Newbs and wicked defensive ts can be a lethal combo and always the T pays the higher price...
You gotta be carefully on YouTube its a wealth of both knowledge and misinformation... One of the largest T vid makers on the tube takes terrible care of his spiders..he has lost more ts in a year than I have lost in 2 decades! His mythbusters vids are great but his care is lax..I'm afraid a lot of newbs would follow his example and kill there Ts...The best place to learn about Ts is this forum!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
By "wanting to go fast", I meant had aspirations of racing.
That's a problem with all the car and race analogies here, it's always a dangerous thing with the intention of doing something dangerous which would obviously end badly.

What I'm trying to say is that if you have the dangerous thing without the dangerous intention, then there's a lot less risk of things ending up badly.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Eventually you are gonna have to jump in the deep end either way.
Wrong. The majority of tarantula owners never get OW's. Some can stop with having NW's only, even docile NW's, and be perfectly content. There's a lot of beautiful spiders in that category.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 11:57 PM ----------

What I'm trying to say is that if you have the dangerous thing without the dangerous intention, then there's a lot less risk of things ending up badly.
Not when it's a living thing, wild and unpredictable. There's a small margin of error.

gobey

Arachnoknight
And people are here to warn against the dangers of rushing into things, warning against bad decisions.. bad decisions leads to a bad reputation for the hobby and tarantulas.. the hobby you love, the tarantuals you love.. we don't make decisions for people, we just try to contribute to making better, safer and wiser decisions..

If better decisions are made.. there won't be bite reports, and there won't be threads that sounds more or less like this: "my obt escaped, please help, it's my first T and I don't want to lose it!" or "I just got my first T, it's an OBT, how do I care for it? Can I hold it?"

No running the risk of certain species being banned..
I'm not refuting this. You guys do a good thing.

I'm just playing pessimist here.

How many "should I get an OBT?" threads do you think are started with the TC not already having their credit card ready?

Like I said here seems to be the exception. So... You guys fought the good fight and won.

But again I'm not questioning your behavior.

Mostly the point these topics. When it seems like most is to (as Poec points out) to play macho and proclaim "I AM GETTING THIS TARANTULA! DID YOU ALL SEE THAT I'M GETTING THIS TARANTULA!? I'M ABOUT TO BUY IT.... OK... HERE GOES.... DON'T TRY TO STOP ME"

Just skip that phase and be an adult about it if you're not going to listen.

I have some OW.

I didn't make a bunch of threads about it.

I don't give advice about them.

I listen to everything these guys say about them. I'm aware thay my experiences mean nothing in the long run so far. I am but a spec in the tarantula keeping timeline.

But I don't wave it around as some badge of honor. They're just part of my collection. And it's a collection I'll readily admit I grew too large too quick. Hence I'm done. 3 just died. You bet I want to replace them. Especially my LP. :(

But I have 13 left that demand my attention. And I mean. I let 3 die somehow. Including that LP who was much before his time at only just under 6".

And the #1 thing that has humbled me was my OBT slings. I'd worked very well with 2 different adults. I've rehoused them, unpacked them, housed them. One of them was feisty too. Still was easy to figure out.
I have two 1.5" P. regalis, 2 H. maculata slings too 1" and .5". All of which have been very simple to learn and care for and house and maintain.

These 2 slings.

Are by far the most frustrating tarantulas I have. I actually do not enjoy feeding them, giving them water, cleaning... Etc.
They scramble, spaz out, bolt, want to escape. And grow about as quick as the Pokies do. So like weeds.

They're cool to observe. They web like crazy. I watched both of them molt. They're orange with patterned abdomens even at that size.

But are an absolute handful.

And deserve every ounce of respect and reputation they are given.

Are they too much? No. But are they what I expected/wanted? No.

I'm honest at least about my path. And I'll share that with the new and old here.

Back to my original point. It seems a lot of these threads are people fooling themselves.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I havent used the ladder system. I got into OW arboreals 1 year ago. Before that I had kept only B. vagand, LS and G. pulchra as species. For me it was easy to learn the attitudes of my Ts, but Im 17. For a person who wants a bit of beauty in his life with little to no stress, Id reccommend G. pulchra, Cyriocosmus elegans, Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma, Xenestis spp. or even P. metallica (mine are fairly docile).