Best starter Old World Tarantula for a beginner in the trade?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Bro this thread is 4 years old. You're probably not going to get an answer.

You don't know that. I can picture someone sitting in front of a keyboard in their bathrobe, their head bobbing from periodically nodding off, as they keep refreshing their screen hoping for a response.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

There's no need to follow some arbitrary ladder of species to own until you reach the one you actually want, as long as you have the right qualities for keeping harder ones.
- The 'ladder' isn't arbitrary. It's very logical and though out. Keeps people from getting in over their heads, which in turn has an effect on the people and pets they live with. It's not just all about 'Me, me, me.'

- 'Right qualities'? That's the problem, when they skip rungs on the ladder, they often don't know what the right qualities are for a couple rungs up.

What's the hurry?

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
You don't know that. I can picture someone sitting in front of a keyboard in their bathrobe, their head bobbing from periodically nodding off, as they keep refreshing their screen hoping for a response.

I hope they at least took shower breaks

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

- The 'ladder' isn't arbitrary. It's very logical and though out. Keeps people from getting in over their heads, which in turn has an effect on the people and pets they live with. It's not just all about 'Me, me, me.'

- 'Right qualities'? That's the problem, when they skip rungs on the ladder, they often don't know what the right qualities are for a couple rungs up.

What's the hurry?
My point exactly, a GBB is great to advance, but wouldn't prep for an OW, ESPECIALY not for an OBT.. thus why I suggest more NW tropical terrestrials or NW aboreals..

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
First of, this thread is old.. 2015 is a whole different story than in 2011.

Second, I don't think the folks here "blah blah blah" for nothing, there's a reason why OW ts such as OBTs are advised against for beginners, they are not even a good starter OW. Yeah sure, they are hardy, cheap and always available but does it outweigh the cons? They tend too try and escape more often, they'd rather greet you with their fangs before attempting to retreat, they are fast, not to mention one of the OWs with the most potent venom.

You have 6 years experience with a g. Rosea, LP and GBB.. get more NW tropical terrestrials or try NW aboreals (psalmos and tapies), before diving into the deep end.

Anyone can have 20 years experience with a G. Rosea or B. Albo, but that does not make them experienced enough or even prepare them for an OW.
Well chastised and will take your advice. I've changed my mind anyway. NO sense fighting city hall. Let the more experienced hobbyists tackle the troublesome T's. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist that used to work in the penal system. That was enough stress for me. No sense inviting unwanted stress back into my life. I'll stick with something like a curly hair, or maybe brave a P. metalica even before I ever think about and OBT. Thank you so much for your advice and the reprimand about being brave enough on the boards to speak my mind.

Be well

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
So here I am once again. Totally in love with Idea of owning an OBT. But not sure due to the speed and aggression. I wouldn't mind a Cobalt Blue otherwise as well. But I leave it in your hands for help. What is everyone's suggestions as far as a starter OW would be concerned? I have 1 T thusfar. She is a 1 1/2" Green Bottle Blue. Also I understand everyone hates common names, but since I'm new could we try and post the common along with the Scientific name? I might learn one day! Lastly, has anyone ever seen one of those Rattlesnake Tarantulas out of Australia!!??!! Those are SOOO sweet!!! They look sexy as hell too! That may sound a bit weird but just look at them sometime! YouTube it! :)
I am not really big on the "starter species" concept. If you want an OBT, get an OBT. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. They are not really that bad though.

EDIT: oh wow talk about necrothreading lol

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron

What's the hurry?
We'll never agree on that one so I won't say much.

It's not a question of being in a hurry or not, I just don't see a reason for waiting past a certain point where you know mostly what to expect(you'll never expect everything from a T though) if you're comfortable with the idea and have acquirement basic T keeping experience. And if you live alone with no pets, it can be just about "Me, me me.". If not, then yes, that's something to consider.

As for the right qualities they don't have to discover them if I tell them, it boils down to how calm you are in difficult situations and if you're generally a careful person. If not, then that would be a good idea to go at it with lots of increments like you suggest, but if you already have those qualities, you won't gain much(in my opinion and personal experience) other than knowing the specific caracteristics of the T you keep which won't help much for the next one.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well chastised and will take your advice. I've changed my mind anyway. NO sense fighting city hall. Let the more experienced hobbyists tackle the troublesome T's. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist that used to work in the penal system. That was enough stress for me. No sense inviting unwanted stress back into my life. I'll stick with something like a curly hair, or maybe brave a P. metalica even before I ever think about and OBT. Thank you so much for your advice and the reprimand about being brave enough on the boards to speak my mind.

Be well
Nobody here is saying this just to say it.. there's a reason behind everyone's advice and opinions.. and the biggest reason behind it all is for the sake of the survival of the hobby.. taking that you are 50 years of age makes me think you're more sensible and responsible.. I'm not being mean or rude but we take this hobby and tarantulas very seriously.. try out a psalmopoeus Irminia, or tapinauchenius.. they grow fast, try getting a juvenile or sub-adult.. if you do fine with those I don't think there's a problem with getting an OW..

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Bro this thread is 4 years old. You're probably not going to get an answer.
A. I realize the age of the post, but why not ask anyway? IF I didn't get an answer that's okay. I'm only attempting to get as many differing opinions and weight the pro's and con's of a choice point.

B. I'm NOT a bro, thank you kindly.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The idea of "working up a ladder" of species is silly because it involves purchasing a bunch of animals that you don't necessarily want before getting the one you DO want. I don't think thats the mentality that one should have when getting animals as pets. Though its definitely good to get some experience before getting something with a crazy temperament, this does not necessarily mean you have to buy a ton of extras.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
We'll never agree on that one so I won't say much.

It's not a question of being in a hurry or not, I just don't see a reason for waiting past a certain point where you know mostly what to expect(you'll never expect everything from a T though) if you're comfortable with the idea and have acquirement basic T keeping experience. And if you live alone with no pets, it can be just about "Me, me me.". If not, then yes, that's something to consider.

As for the right qualities they don't have to discover them if I tell them, it boils down to how calm you are in difficult situations and if you're generally a careful person. If not, then that would be a good idea to go at it with lots of increments like you suggest, but if you already have those qualities, you won't gain much(in my opinion and personal experience) other than knowing the specific caracteristics of the T you keep which won't help much for the next one.
Well said Sam. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist that spent the majority of the last years of my career working in the prison/penal system, IN the facilities themselves actually. Not that that makes much of a difference when it comes to a creature that is as mute and irrational as an OBT, but what it does mean is that I have the temperament that is patient, cautious, mindful, and ready for the moment to change in a heartbeat and respond wisely rather than react emotionally or irrationally, and, truth be told, Ive been "dissuaded" by so many, one even stating that "it's a man's world". Go figure. Anyway, I've gone back and forth now from a Curly hair to a Horned baboon and have finally settled on a rather rare and new species to keepers. The Encyocratella olivacea. It's a 2.5" sling and, I'm told, Less aggressive then the OBT and less inclined to dash at me.

Last edited:

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I can't comment on their temperament, but since OBTs have pretty much the worst reputation, it's not hard to find less aggressive out there.

I'm actually going to buy two 1/2" Encyocratella olivacea sling on the 22nd(as well as a bunch of others), they're at the very top of my wishlist.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
All this fuss with OBTs... With a little common sense and ACTUAL experience (studying your spiders reactions to different things, rehouses and so on), everyone can handle them. Ive always been convinced that even with 10 years of experience with aggressive species, if it wants to tag me, it inadvertently will. Everyone decides for himself if he is ready. And, imo, a bad thing to do (and proof you are not ready) is asking for advice on a forum.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All this fuss with OBTs... With a little common sense and ACTUAL experience (studying your spiders reactions to different things, rehouses and so on), everyone can handle them. Ive always been convinced that even with 10 years of experience with aggressive species, if it wants to tag me, it inadvertently will. Everyone decides for himself if he is ready. And, imo, a bad thing to do (and proof you are not ready) is asking for advice on a forum.
Agreed! When I get ready for my singapore blue, I am not asking a single soul here "if I should."

(not getting one anytime soon, but already know I won't tell a soul until I can refer to it "what? this old thing?")

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Boy. I've seen some people get defensive when they aren't given the answer they want-- but I've never seen them try to breathe life into a four year old thread to get the 'okay' from someone who they hope will tell them what they want to hear.

"Daaaad- mom said I can't have a red ryder bb gun, can I have a red ryder bb gun?!"

Next he'll try writing to Santa, perhaps?

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just got my Ts... You guys are here for things I have questions about as I raise them when I run into things that stump me.

Not to make my decisions for me.

Most people I wager starting a thread like "should I get an OBT" are going to get that OBT anyways.

Seems here though somebody actually listened. Which is cool.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Well said Sam. I'm a 50 year old retired addictions therapist
Jealous -- how does one retire at 50? You must have invested or saved better than I. lol
I have a few clients with addictions -- very manipulative population in my more limited experience. Don't know how you dealt with that as a career.

have finally settled on a rather rare and new species to keepers. The Encyocratella olivacea. It's a 2.5" sling and, I'm told, Less aggressive then the OBT and less inclined to dash at me.
Had to google this one -- pretty! Don't know anything about their temperament or requirements.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I just got my Ts... You guys are here for things I have questions about as I raise them when I run into things that stump me.

Not to make my decisions for me.

Most people I wager starting a thread like "should I get an OBT" are going to get that OBT anyways.

Seems here though somebody actually listened. Which is cool.
And people are here to warn against the dangers of rushing into things, warning against bad decisions.. bad decisions leads to a bad reputation for the hobby and tarantulas.. the hobby you love, the tarantuals you love.. we don't make decisions for people, we just try to contribute to making better, safer and wiser decisions..

If better decisions are made.. there won't be bite reports, and there won't be threads that sounds more or less like this: "my obt escaped, please help, it's my first T and I don't want to lose it!" or "I just got my first T, it's an OBT, how do I care for it? Can I hold it?"

No running the risk of certain species being banned..

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The idea of "working up a ladder" of species is silly because it involves purchasing a bunch of animals that you don't necessarily want before getting the one you DO want. I don't think thats the mentality that one should have when getting animals as pets. Though its definitely good to get some experience before getting something with a crazy temperament, this does not necessarily mean you have to buy a ton of extras.
So you're a beginner with an ego and decide to get an advanced species...Great. Why would you want a species that fits your skill/experience level? That's for old ladies. All those 'boring' beautiful docile species, and you with all that testosterone to flaunt. I get it. That's why they let student drivers race for NASCAR. Learn as you go. Mind over matter. Mind over reality.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

I am not really big on the "starter species" concept. If you want an OBT, get an OBT. Just make sure you know what you are getting into.
And without a foundation of working their way up, they don't know what they're getting into. 'Online research' is no substitute for experience. That's laughable.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

As for the right qualities they don't have to discover them if I tell them
Does this seem to be just the least bit egotistical to you? So you can teach someone to swim over the phone?